Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A very, very quiet day................

So last night around dinner time, in the middle of a very big snowstorm, I simply lost my voice.  I went from talking normally one minute, to not having a voice the next!  This  has never happened to me before.  I have total laryngitis.  This morning I didn't even have a croak for a voice. 

The first thing I did was to check the internet to get information about laryngitis.  There were no surprises.  Nothing that you can do to shorten the attack except not talk! There is no medicine or treatment that does any good at all.  So I stayed home and rested my voice.  I turned on the humidifier, I drank tea with honey, I didn't talk.  I am sucking on cough drops to keep my throat moist.  I have been sipping liquids.  Sadly, tonight I still just have a croak for a voice.  But I intend to go to work tomorrow.  I will just have to NOT talk! 

Now this is sure to be a difficult task.  If there is one thing that anyone who works with children will tell you, it is that they TALK ALL DAY!  At least we have a 2 hour nap time when I should be able to be totally quiet.   So a challenge is ahead for me.  Never did I think that it would be my voice that kept me home.  I figured it would be some bad flu or a stomach virus (we have had lots of kids throwing up) or a bad cough.  Or I even thought it might just be my body that gave out.  My knees or feet or back.  I was just joking with one of the directors that I get my daily exercise when I carry the dishes and food back to the kitchen after lunch.  Let me tell you that those 25 or 30 glass plates are HEAVY! And hoisting those cots around is also something.  But it was a common little virus that knocked me down. 

I don't quiet know what tomorrow will bring.  I don't know if I will feel much worse when I finally get home, or if my voice will improve over the day.  I will be praying for total restoration and healing......and would appreciate your prayers as well!

This reminds me of all those who are really knocked down by something much more serious than just a little lost voice.  Those that have cancer or other diseases that have much more pain and disability.  My heart goes out to each of them.  This day off has given me a chance to consider just how fortunate I am.  And to pray for all those that are in the midst of a battle for their health. 

Jesus, bring that total healing and restoring to my voice.  Protect all of the teachers and kids from sickness and keep all of those germs at bay.  Give courage and strength to all who are in the midst of a struggle with illness or disease.  Holy Spirit, remind us to stand with each other and hold each other up in prayer.   Jesus, thank you that you are the healer and the provider!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment