Sunday, February 9, 2014

When you lose a family pet..........

Today via email, we heard that Ken's father's very special dog, Bobby had to be put to sleep last week.  This must be such a hard thing for Ken's dad.  Bobby was a rescue doggy that had come from a very sad situation.  When we first met Bobby it was clear that he was skittish and afraid of people.  He barked at the least little movement.  But, slowly and over time, mom and dad were able to break through to this dog.  Ken's mom was especially close to Bobby and he was always right where she was.  After her death, he never really left dad's side.  When dad moved to Florida to live with Ken's sister, Bobby went with (of course).  He became a pack member with Sue's two dogs and seemed to fit right in.   Last summer when we visited dad, it was clear that Bobby was not doing so well.  He couldn't see or hear very well and he moved stiffly and slowly.  Ken and I actually had a conversation about Bobby's passing.  Dad is 93 years old and has had his own health issues in the last year.  And Bobby was an important part of his life.  Yes, Bobby will be greatly missed.

Today all I could think about was getting to Florida to see Ken's dad.  Those vacation plans that just didn't seem to come together, seem so much more important right now.  Isn't it interesting how something can change your perspective so quickly?  I think I will be getting those travel arrangements made soon. 

You know, it is really hard to not live close to family isn't it?  I missed being close to my mom and I miss seeing my siblings.  And now Florida is so far away.  I have also been thinking about how busy we are that we don't even see the family that lives close by!  Yes, these things really make you stop and think.  So tonight I am thankful that I made the choice to spend one day a week with Gwen and the kids.  And I am so grateful that tomorrow is one of those days - a "Grandma Lyn" day! (And I am sure to give Chandler the dog an extra bit of love also!)

Jesus, thank you for reminders like these.  Bless Dad and give him peace in this hard time.  Thank you so much for Sue and Wayne and their care for Dad.  Holy Spirit, help us all to recognize how important our family connections are.  Give us wisdom and grace to stay close to our loved ones.  Thank you for our special pets that enrich our families.  Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment