Monday, February 3, 2014

Basking in the sun (and the Son!)

 

So I got to be Grandma Lyn again today.   It is simply wonderful.  And I just had to include a couple more pictures of Anna!  I got to Gwen's early enough to help with the before school scramble.  Anyone with multiple children will understand what this is like.  It was quite something getting three kids out of bed and dressed, getting some food into their tummies, getting all the hairs combed and fixed, finding shoes, coats, hats, snow pants, backpacks, and making sure the dog went out,  in time to make the bus.  Gwen managed to shower and dress and feed Anna during this same time frame. We made the bus, got Ellie and Zeke to preschool and made it to Anna's doctor appointment on time. So Anna needed that dreaded heel stick blood check to determine her bilirubin level since she is starting to look a bit jaundiced.  The doctor recommended the old fashioned light treatment.... a sun bath! Since today was a wonderful sunny day, Anna got her time in the sun this afternoon.
She was quite relaxed and mellow sitting in the sun.  On the way home tonight, I was thinking about the times I have been able to "Bask in the SON"!  You know what I mean.... those wonderful worship times when you are filled with the warmth and presence of Jesus! I confess that I have been blessed to have lots of these basking moments, and they are not all "big event" times.  It's a wonderful thing that all alone, in your quiet spot, you can enter into that presence with just a single word - Jesus.  Or you can find that warmth and peace just by reading scripture.  My favorite place to "bask" is the car!  I turn on that worship music and the atmosphere of my car becomes a real "Son bath"! 

Considering my blog yesterday......today was a wonderful time of stepping out of my regular world.  It might not sound like this was a relaxing day, in fact, tonight I feel calm and rested.  Holding a sweet tiny baby or a rambunctious two year old or a cuddly 4 year old or a loving 7 year old, causes you to know that nothing else really matters.  All of that day to day stuff, all of the concerns and cares, all of the trying to figure it out stuff, just melts away.  I can honestly say that today felt like I stopped on a warm beach and just rested! 

My encouragement to you today is to do some basking!  Stop and breath deeply.  Close your eyes and call on the name of Jesus.  Put on some music and let it soothe your soul.  Let the light of the SON clear out the junk from your spirit in the same way that the light of the sun helps to clean Anna's blood of that excess bilirubin. 

Jesus, thank you for this reminder today of the value of basking in your light and love.  Holy Spirit, continue to show us all how to be rested and refreshed.  Jesus, watch over Anna and bring peace and health to her body.  Give supernatural rest and refreshment to Gwen and Tim during these stressful first few weeks with a new baby and three older children.  Thank you for the doctors and nurses who watch over new babies and their mommies and daddies.  Thank you for the sunshine and for the SON!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment