Saturday, February 8, 2014

What to do on a snowy day..... taxes and the Olympics

So it is snowing. Again. On a Saturday.  This has been a ridiculous winter of cold and snow.  In fact it is the 4th snowiest winter in Chicago's history. When it is snowing and cold there is really not much you can do. It's not all bad to have a day at home to do some catching up.  I decided that I would accomplish some tasks that needed attention.  Taking care of filing our taxes was the task that I decided needed doing the most. 

I am pretty good at keeping things organized to do this job.  I keep an open folder during the year and accumulate all the paperwork that is needed.  As it gets closer to January 31, I make a list of any outstanding documents that are needed and check them off as they arrive.  So it didn't take me very long to get the job done. 

I remember my mom working for several weekends just to assemble the information that was needed to take to the tax accountant.  And the years that I did the taxes, by hand with a pencil and paper forms are fresh in my memory.  It would often take me several weeks to fill out all of the paperwork and then check and double check all the addition and subtraction.  I am so thankful for internet tax filing.  For computer programs that almost do it all for you.  In one quick hour session the task is completed, the forms are filed and received by the IRS.  Amazing the difference that a few years makes. 


Then, like so many people, Ken and I watched some of the Olympics. There is something that is so wonderful about seeing all the nations coming together.  It was so amazing to watch the trials of snowboarding, knowing that this 20 year old American won the Gold medal in the finals of this event. 

I was thinking about these two activities - paying taxes and watching the Olympics.  Two very "American" things.  On the one hand, I was thinking about the amount of money that our government collects from all of us.  On the other hand, I was thinking about all of these very young athletes that are representing our country.  And the primary thought on my mind was how much I wanted some of my tax dollars to support these brave team members.  But, alas, this is not to be.  Our athletes are not supported by our government unlike so many of the other countries.  Interesting difference that doesn't seem to make for a level playing field. It is amazing to me how many medals we actually win, considering this fact.  I know that we are a "wealthy" nation but still, this just doesn't seem fair! 

I reminded myself of something that I often said to my kids..."life is not fair"!  Isn't that true?  Sometimes things seem to be so wrong.  Bad things happen to good people and great things happen to very bad people.  That is, in the short term.  I am so thankful that I know that it is God that is really in control of every situation.  So when those "not fair" things happen, there is another side to the event that we just might not be seeing.  Sometimes eventually we understand the "why" but often we don't.  I am convinced that Jesus blesses his children and uses all of the things that happen for our good.  This was a great way to end this day. 

So my taxes are filed and the USA has it's first Gold Medal of 2014.  And I am breathing a bit easier and filled with the peace that passes understanding, in spite of the "not fair"!

Jesus, thank you for everything you do for us.  Thank you that you are in control even when we don't see the why or the how.   Bless all of our Government officials - the local officials, senators and representatives, the judges, the Vice President and the President.  Surround our centers of government with your presence and your peace.  Holy Spirit, remind us all to pray for those in authority.  And keep everyone safe at the Olympics!   Thank you!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment