Saturday, February 1, 2014

Thinking warm thoughts.....

Like so many people I have been thinking about vacation!  This winter of snow, ice, freezing cold followed by more snow and days and days of subzero - AGAIN has made most of us, well TIRED OF WINTER!  Ken and I have not arrived at any decision regarding where or when or how we are going on vacation.
With this reminder of last years wonderful, warm, oceanfront trip, today I spent some time looking at lots of different options. We have not been able to decide where, when or how we will go on vacation.  We have even been considering an all inclusive vacation of some kind.  So I spent some time researching different destinations and various ways to get there.  For the past several years we have taken driving vacations.  As a matter of fact, in 2010 we drove 3850 miles on our vacation!  Today I was checking airfares and car rentals and hotel rates.  After hours of frustration and no decisions made, I shut off the computer. 

I was thinking of an important truth.  It doesn't matter how you get there, its the destination that counts!  Gwen and I were just talking about this!  It really doesn't matter if you have a "natural" delivery or a cesarean delivery - what matters is a healthy baby.  And when considering a vacation, it really doesn't matter how you get there, whether by car or plane, its all about the final destination!  Now, granted, there are positives and negatives to each of these examples.  Considering the vacation... last year we drove in some of the most horrible stormy weather that I have ever experienced.  And we have seen our share of traffic jams and road construction. And we have driven some VERY LONG days.   But on the positive side, we can take anything that we want that fits in the car.  We can change our plans and come and go as we please.  We can take a different route and travel when we want.  Considering the air travel, you get to that destination much more quickly - usually in just a matter of hours.  You really get to enjoy every bit of your vacation.  There is no thought of that long car drive home.  However, there are delays and even cancellations.  And there is no changing your plans (at least not without paying fees).  And then there are the security checks and baggage fees.  And the car rental. 

So I know that the most important thing right now is to decide on the destination.  How we will get there is yet to be determined.  Yes, I think this will change how I view many things.  I will be spending more time thinking about the end rather than the process.  Sometimes the process is long and difficult.  Sometimes the process is a short easy road.  Again, it is the destination that really matters.  I will be spending less time thinking about my ongoing path to the destiny that Jesus has for me and more time thinking about what that destiny is.  I am really not in control of the process anyway, so fretting about it doesn't make much sense.  I will just keep my eyes on the prize.  And that includes thinking about a warm, sunny day sitting on the beach, with the waves lapping at my feet!

Jesus, thank you for helping me to understand more clearly, how important it is to let go of the worry about the day to day.  Thank you for reminding me that your destiny is the most important thing I can think about.  Holy Spirit, guide and direct us as we make vacation plans.  Help us all to look at the end result, rather than the process.  Thank you for the reminder that there are many roads that lead to the same end.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment