Thursday, February 6, 2014

New perspective on Valentine's day.....

All you have to do is be around a group of 3 year olds to appreciate that next Friday is Valentine's day.  Isn't this a cute bulletin board (thanks Jackie!)?  I got to help most of the kids make these adorable bees.  Each of the kids got to cut the black "stripes" for their bees and glue them together.  They also got to choose the eyes!  You can't see in the picture but several have 2 different color eyes.  We thought they might all look the same, but happily, they are all very different.  And the kids love to see their very special bee on display.  The board is a bit fuller today, but I didn't get another picture.  We now have 21 bees on display as well as 21 hearts. 

As I was helping the kids make their bees I asked them what they thought Valentines day was.  I got some interesting responses.  One little girl told me "well it's all about love and you give cards".  I thought that was pretty good for a three year old.  Then there was the boy that looked at me and said "What?" So I restated the question.....what is Valentine's day?  He stared at me.  So I said, that is why we are having a party next week.   His face brightened up and he said "will we get candy?" Obviously not very aware of this holiday.  Another boy gave me a long description of the pack of Power Ranger papers that he and his mom bought at the store.  And he was going to give them to all of his friends and even the friends that he didn't really like.  I guess 3 is a bit young for Valentine's day.

But these comments made me think about this "Hallmark" holiday (you know,  the kind that is really all about the card companies getting you to buy cards).  I haven't really ever been very fond of this holiday.  I don't think my parents ever exchanged cards or gifts on Valentines day.  Ken and I never really did anything special, that is until we had the kids.  I bet they would remember the year that we got our first ever video player on Valentine's day.  Or the year that they got their Cabbage Patch dolls as a Valentine's day gift.  One year we got our first microwave oven! But, I have a confession to make.  Remember that this blog is about truth telling.  The reason these purchases were Valentines day gifts is that it usually we received our income tax refund around that time.   But I digress........

I will go with little Anna's description....its all about love!  Its good to have a reminder that it is important to tell those closest to us just how special they are.  And it is also a great time to remember those that we don't see every day.  Those special friends or family that may not have heard loving words from us for a long time.   And I am so thankful that I can celebrate that Jesus IS love and he loves us all.  There is nothing better than that. 

Yes, I think that Valentine's day will be a bit different for me this year. Instead of just dismissing the day, I am going to focus on just how I am supposed to be celebrating it.  I will be using the next couple of days to STOP and listen to what Jesus may be saying to me about this subject.   Then I think I will be sending out a couple of cards! And getting to participate in a Valentines Day classroom party.  That will most likely, include some sweet treats. 

Jesus, thank you for the ways that you use secular events to turn my eyes to your plans and purposes.  Holy Spirit, thank you for reminding me that God is Love!  Thank you for these little children that bless me each day with their hugs and their smiles and their excitement.  Thank you for "Freeze Dancing" and silly songs.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment