Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sisters...... a special bond


The top picture is my sister Julie holding me as a newborn.  The bottom picture is Lia holding Anna.  I thought about this picture of Julie and I shortly after Anna was born.  In the top picture, Julie was going to be 8 in just a couple of weeks.  And Lia will be 8 in May.  So the age spacing is just about the same. 

Now, granted, Lia has another sister, much closer in age (Ellie) and I am sure that they will have a close relationship.  But I can't help but think about Lia and Anna and how they may relate as they get older. 

My sister Julie and I shared a room for about 7 years, when I was in grade school.  This meant that Julie was in high school and college.  Needless to say, this was not a very good arrangement.  I was just telling someone that I remember going to sleep to Elvis singing.  And then there are the stories of my disturbed sleep when Julie was in college.  She was up all hours carving teeth out of clay! She was going to college to be a Dental Hygienist.  I remember the long, long hours of sleeping with the lights on.  I was 12 when Julie got married and I was very sad that she was leaving home. 

Yes, Julie and I still have a close relationship.  As I have said, the distance makes it difficult to stay in touch.  I know that this sister bond in something very different.  I love looking at my grandchildren and thinking about their relationships in the future.  It is so wonderful to see how close they are now.  I love watching them play together.  And I love how much they  care about each other.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to watch my grandchildren grow.  The perspective is just amazing.  I think when your own children are young you are simply so busy that you don't have time to consider these things.  But with your grandchildren, you have time to ponder and wonder and look to the future.  It is a real gift.  Tonight I am thinking about sisters, but I am celebrating being a grandma!

Jesus, thank you for this reminder of family, generations and all that is important. Holy Spirit, thank you for showing me how important it is to be a grandma.  Thank you for my sister Julie and that sister bond that we share.  Continue to build a close relationship between Lia, Ellie, Zeke and Anna.  Thank you for family and all that you intended to do in us and through us in our family.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment