Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My favorite "Slimy Pit" Psalm......


Today my morning Bible reading landed me in Psalm 40.  Oh how I love this Psalm!  Many years ago this Psalm spoke to me and gave me hope in a time of great despair. I bet you didn't know the Bible included a "slimy pit"!   Over the years when I have quoted this passage to people, they can't believe this is actually in the Bible.  Personally, I think this is one of the most powerful three verse passages there is! 

1.  How great is it that God turns to US and hears our cry! 
2.  Then HE lifts us out of that slimy pit of mud and mire.
3.  Then HE puts our feet on a rock (Jesus) and gives us a firm place to stand.
And now that he has rescued us when we haven't done anything but wait patiently for God.....
4.  He puts a NEW SONG in our mouth, a special song that praises God.

And then there is this amazing wind up to these verses......
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.

This is the most amazing thing to me.  In the last 20 years I have told many people a bit of my story.  I have even quoted this Psalm.  And I have been blessed to have witnessed people getting a new perspective on the Lord and a new understanding of how little WE do and how much HE does to change our life.  This is what changes peoples minds and hearts.  I think that the real-ness of this Psalm is part of what grabs people's attention.  When you hear about a pit filled with mud and mire, you can relate when your life feels like the worst, deepest hole you have ever seen.  And then when you hear what God will do FOR you, well that is just the best news ever.  

And I have told people over and over (when I am quoting this verse to them), when you get to the other side of the slimy pit you are in right now, Jesus will put a new song in your mouth.  And the best thing is that your testimony of being pulled out of that pit, will change someone else's life.  And THEY will put their trust in the Lord. 

Yes, this is a power packed Psalm.  And I was blessed to read it again this morning.  And then reflect on it through out the day.  Hopefully, you have been blessed by it today also.

Jesus, thank you for reminding me of all that you have done for me.  Holy Spirit, give us all opportunity to share our stories with someone in need of your touch.  Remind us to call to mind this Scripture when we can bless someone with this truth.  Thank you for lifting me out of despair, planting my feet firmly on you, Jesus, and giving me a new song to sing!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment