Friday, July 4, 2014

Celebrating the power of sharing!


These two photos represent 4th of July's that I remember very well.  The top picture is Gwen at the age of 2 months - taken July 4, 1979!  We just happened to be out shopping to pick up a few items at Kmart before going on a picnic, and they were taking pictures in the store.  We decided at the last minute, to have Gwen's picture taken.  Although this had already faded badly before we got it scanned, I still love it!  She was dressed in that darling red white and blue dress with matching shoes.  I loved that little dress!  I can't help but to notice how much Anna looks like Gwen!  The bottom picture was taken on July 4, 1983.  We were on our way to spend the day at our good friends house.   I love this holiday memory, captured in a photo.

Gwen posted this picture on Facebook today!  I love that Gwen takes these pictures.  The best thing is that I will most likely get to look at this picture next year during the month of July.  Gwen usually makes me a wall calendar with pictures, so I get to enjoy them all year. 
 
It has been an interesting evening.  Ken and I decided that we would go out and try to see the fireworks.  Now we live in a very small suburb of only around 14,000.  And every town around here has their own fireworks. We decided to try to park a bit away from the park where the fireworks display happens.  We know of a small industrial area a short distance from the park, so we decided that would be a good place.  Well, apparently EVERYONE in our town decided to go there!  The streets were lined with cars.  As we drove home, EVERY street had cars and people.  One little lake had rows and rows of chairs and people on the grass.  It was really silly.  I really didn't know that there were that many people in our town!  Needless to say, we drove home and skipped the fireworks.  It was quite an adventure! 
 
All in all, this was a really nice day.  The weather was spectacular.  It was warm, but not hot.  There were a few clouds and a soft breeze.  Ken did a bit of yard work and I sat outside and watched!  Ken went on a bike ride and I just chilled.  We grilled brats for dinner and ate corn on the cob.  Yes, I would say this was a really nice 4th of July.  In spite of missing the fireworks.  It was a great day.
 
Here's the thing.  I love that because this is a "special" day, we mark the day with photos.  And memories.  Ken and I talked about the last few years and how we celebrated.  It is good to spend time talking and remembering together.  In some ways, this has become a lost art.  People don't spend time really telling stories about the past.  And we also don't spend much time giving our testimony.  Nor do we share stories of how Jesus has blessed us and answered prayers.  We don't talk about the miracles we have seen in our families.  How sad is this?  We have lost the power of our testimony!
I was thinking of these verses from Revelation 12:10-11.....
"For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God
day and night, has been hurled down.  They triumphed over him by the
blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony"
 
Wow!  Isn't that amazing?  There is so much power in our testimony, yet we don't use this gift!  I am going to remember this lesson. More than that, I am going to DO this lesson.  So for the rest of the month of July, I am going to be sharing my stories (my testimonies).  And I am going to be expecting to hear some of your stories also.  Please share them with me.  Share them with others.  Let's start a new trend and share lots of good news stories that bless others.  What a joy this will be.  This is a great 4th of July message.  Its all about freedom.  The freedom that we have in Jesus.  The freedom that we have in this country to SHARE our testimony about Jesus.  Yes, this is a reason to celebrate. 
 
Jesus, thank you for the freedom you bring to us.  Those you set free are free indeed!  Holy Spirit, thank you for the reminder and the nudge to share more testimonies of all that you have done.  What a blessing it is to be able to share openly.  Thank you for this country and the freedoms that we have. Holy Spirit, give us all courage and boldness to testify about all that you have done for us.  Amen

 


No comments:

Post a Comment