Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day 8 - Following a nudge of the Holy Spirit

I just had to start this blog with the sweet, sweet picture of my little Anna.  I was glancing through Gwen's recent pictures, getting ready to print some for my wall, and I was suddenly reminded of the following story.  (This is the way these blogs have been going.  I never know what I am going to share until the last minute!  Isn't that exactly like Jesus?)

Okay.... the story.  One day I was walking through a large "department" store (you know, the kind that has everything - groceries, clothes, housewares etc, - you get the point).   When I walked in the store I saw a young women with a small baby in a carrier with a cart full of diapers and groceries.  She was sort of wandering around near the checkout counters.  I went about my business of choosing my own groceries but I could not get this women off of my mind.  I kept asking Jesus to give her peace and whatever she needed.  Suddenly I knew that I was supposed to give her $20.  I rarely carry any cash, but I had just gone to the ATM for some cash for Ken and kept $20 for myself.  So, I made my way to the front of the store and there she was.  I approached her and just said, "I'm a Christian and Jesus told me that you really need this right now!"  And I handed her the $20.  She broke down crying and explained that she couldn't believe that I was there.  She told me that she was also a Christian, and her support money for the baby had not arrived the day before as expected.  She had no family in the area and simply did not know what she was going to do.  She needed things for the baby that could not wait until Monday when the money might arrive.  She prayed and Jesus told her to go to the store and what she needed would be provided.  So, in faith, she did exactly what she was told.  She selected the items that she needed and waited.  She told me that she had been in the store for 2 hours and the baby would soon be needing to eat.  So she was getting desperate.  She was just about to leave the cart of items and take the baby and go home when I approached her.   I asked if I could pray for her, which she greatly appreciated.  I waited as she went through the checkout line to make sure that she had enough money.  Her bill was $19.72.  I wanted to make sure that she could get home okay and she assured me that she had a full tank of gas and a short way to travel.  Yes, this was a good day for me!

Isn't it so amazing when we see how Jesus can use us?  I didn't just "happen" to be in that particular store - I was sent there.  Just like Maria (the women) and her precious little baby were sent to that same store.  And then it was all dependent on both of us listening to the Lord.  I learned a valuable lesson that day.  All of us need to be aware of those everyday moments when Jesus might want to use us to do His work.  For many, many months I always looked around when I walked into a store.  Looking for that person that I might need to reach.  But as time went on, I forgot about this.  And now, I don't remember the last time I actually did this.    Yep, I am sure that I needed to be reminded of this story.  Today Jesus used that picture of my little Anna to remind me of a mother in need that Jesus helped!

Jesus, thank you for your body of believers.  Keep us all ready and available to reach out and help others as the Holy Spirit prompts us.  Jesus, please bless Maria and her child, wherever they may be.  Thank you for Maria's faith that got her to the store that day.  Jesus, it is amazing how you use us!  Thank you for your provision that we can share with others.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment