Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 12 - And then what happened....

So picking up where I left off yesterday.  After a couple of years of doing Hiz Kidz, I was anxious to begin a "Station Rotation" model for Sunday School.   We had seen the great need to reach the children of our church with more than they had been getting.  For years and years our church had gotten curriculum donated to us and it was "Evangelical" based material.  That donation had ended and we needed new material.  We were a Spirit Filled Lutheran church.  I had problems with what was NOT included in the curriculum.  I spent a very frustrating 6 months on a committee trying to choose the next material.  There were SO many issues and it just seemed like an impossible task. And the current Sunday School Superintendent was resigning.   I went out on a limb and made a proposal to the Pastors and Elders to do a very different kind of program and volunteered to be fill the spot of Superintendent - IF I could do this new program with curriculum that I would write and assemble (much like the HiZ KidZ program).  I think they agreed because they really didn't know what else they were going to do!  Most of the staff of teachers were not interested in doing anything new.  There were a number who were excited about this new thing and were willing to give it a try.  This program took off and was extremely successful.  We had over 125 children from 2 year olds - 5th Grade enrolled in the first year.  Using a bunch of resources and lots of brainstorming with a leadership team, we wrote a  6 year plan (exactly what we were going to cover) and I developed most of the curriculum. 

I can't begin to tell you how much I learned during these years.  In spite of hours and hours of work and lots of time away from my family, it was so worth it.  To see the kids run happily into church each week.  To hear those memorized Bible verses each week.  To see the singing and joy on the faces of those kids -  yes it was amazing.  Around the end of the second full year of the program, one of my pastors tried to encourage me to publish this curriculum and the HiZ KidZ curriculum.  He realized that we had developed a program that was sort of a "niche" program that was so good it could be marketed. To this day, I regret not following his advise.   I just felt that I did not have the time or energy to accomplish getting this material ready to show to publishers.  I was working full time, my kids were still young and I was still running this program every week!  But, I confess that there are times when I wonder what might have come from this.  Within five years there were many published curriculum's that used this "Station Rotation" model.  Yes, we were ahead of the pack with this program. 

During the first 5 years of this program, we also did quarterly family events as well as Vacation Bible School.  And this was a full year program!  We did not take a vacation in the summer.  And there were also "special events" each year that needed children's activities.  It was a busy, busy time and I was fully immersed in this ministry.  In looking back, this time period was one of the greatest growth periods in my walk.  I knew that I could never do this on my own and I had to rely wholly on Jesus to accomplish this.  I was active in another ministry also and participated every week in a healing service.  I learned more scripture and more about the Holy Spirit during these busy months.  I experienced some deep inner healing and learned about forgiveness and restoration.  And every week, those children were a part of what Jesus was doing, working on me! 

There is still more to this part of my story.  I will continue this sharing on another day. 

Jesus, thank you for your healing and restoration power that changes everything!  Holy Spirit, thank you for your power and grace that brings us inspiration to carry out your ideas!   Give us all encouragement to step out and act on the thoughts and ideas that you give to us.  Remind us that it is your strength that helps us bring your visions to life!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment