Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 11 - Let the little children come

Believe it or not, it wasn't until last night that I really saw the connection between Vacation Bible School and the path I took into Children's Ministry.   While I had been a Youth leader and Sunday School superintendent and teacher, I was never really satisfied with the program.  There was always something missing.  As my own relationship with Jesus grew deeper, I was more and more dissatisfied.  I remember hearing about a new model for Sunday School called "rotation" that was being done as an experiment.  It really sparked my interest and in reading about the program, I began to have some ideas and changes that could really work for this kind of program.  For several years in the early 1990's, I was not involved in any kind of leadership with children or youth.  Then in 1992, I was asked to plan a short evening program for children that would basically "entertain" the kids during an adult event with special speakers.  So I planned and carried out this event and it was an amazing success.  Shortly after that, I was asked to formulate a program for 3rd - 5th Graders that would run at the same time as the Junior High youth program.  I really didn't know if it would be successful, but there were 12  kids in that first session.  I loved seeing these kids get excited about the topics and stories.  And most of all, growing deeper in Jesus.

It wasn't long before I was hooked, line and sinker into Children's Ministry.  A friend and I came up with a plan for an after school program for Kindergarten through 5th Graders.  We called it "HiZ KidZ and planned 8 week sessions on different topics.  Once again, we thought that if we had 20 kids, we would be pleased.  Let's just say we were shocked when 60 kids registered for our first session.  We basically did a "rotation" model and grouped the kids in small groups of mixed ages.   We used the 5th Graders as "junior leaders", which ended up being one of the best things about this program.  These HiZ KidZ sessions have been used over and over and rewritten for various situations.  I know that this program was true inspiration.  I did not have any training to write, plan and carry out this venture and everything about this program was Spirit led.  This program was the springboard for a Sunday morning program that changed my own life.  More about that program tomorrow. 

I love that I am being reminded of just how faithful Jesus is by telling my own story.  I love that I am seeing with new eyes, each step that has helped me walk out my destiny and get me to where I am right now.  Once again, I encourage you all to share your stories!  It is just amazing what YOU will gain as you recount how Jesus has worked in your life. 

Jesus, thank you for the path that you laid out for me to walk down.  You knew that it was not always a straight, flat path and I am so grateful that you continued to draw me along and make a way for me to follow your leading.  Holy Spirit, continue to encourage us all to share all that you have done for us.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment