Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 6 - Writing - An important part of my testimony


You can't see very well in this picture, but this is my first journal, and it was started on December 2, 1988.  Up on the top shelf of my closet are a couple of storage boxes filled with these journals.  I stopped numbering them at 59 and then I switched to just dates.  And now, many of my "journals" are actually saved on my computer.  In the last year and 3 months, this blog has been a journal of sorts.  But rest assured, these journals are far more than just words on a page.

It was during that prayer group that I mentioned this week, that it was suggested that it is a good idea to write down your prayers and your thoughts.  So I decided to give it a try.   I guess that writing has always been a part of what I was supposed to do.  Within a very short time, I discovered that many, many answers to my questions came though the words I wrote down in my journals.  A couple of years later, I complete a study called "Communion with God".  This revolutionized my journaling.  I began to wait and let the Holy Spirit speak to me as I wrote words on the page.  I can't describe how much closer this brought me to Jesus.  I am so thankful that I started this memory keeping.  I have gone back many, many times to be reminded of a word or a revelation that would have been forgotten had it not been written down.  I have kept notes from conferences and events and speakers and retreats.  What a blessing these little books have been to me.

I have learned so much about myself through this journaling process.  It has been the best sorting out of feelings and emotions and thoughts that I could ever have had.  There has been so much growth and change and I am sure that there is still much, much more I have to learn. 

If you have never kept a pen and paper with you during your quiet time, I encourage you to give it a try.  Or start an electronic journal.  Just don't miss out on the insight and revelation that  comes with putting words down on a page as you pray. 

Which brings me to the following devotional that I wrote many, many years ago for a Sunday School newsletter.  It's a good message and I need to point out that I would not have it to share today if I hadn't kept a written record of it.

................................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................
Making a “PB & J sandwich

Almost every child in the USA knows that a “PB & J” sandwich is peanut butter and jelly on bread.  As a matter of fact, this is such a staple in the average home, by the time many kids hit 12 or 13 years old, the LAST thing that they want to see is a “PB & J”!  Today the Lord spoke to me about a very different kind of “PB & J” sandwich that should become a regular part of everyone’s diet.

Every good sandwich starts out with good bread.    A trip to the supermarket bread aisle is enough to confuse and confound even the most dedicated shopper.  There are white breads, wheat breads, whole grain, seven grain and even “mixed” grain breads. Sandwich sliced, thick sliced, round loaves, short loaves, and even “1/2 loaves”.    Fortified, vitamin-added, no sugar, low-carb, low-calorie.  Raisin bread, cinnamon bread, Italian bread, French bread, and Roman bread, to just name a few of the choices.  It is quite possible to spend many minutes making a decision before any bread actually hits the shopping basket.  We need the best daily bread that you can have – THE Bread of Life – Jesus.  

In John 6:35, Jesus declares “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry…”  Any sandwich made with this bread, will be food that truly satisfies!  

When we begin to think about Jesus not only occupying a place in our hearts, but also covering and holding together and protecting everything we do in our daily lives, just as the bread holds the sandwich together, we begin to get a deeper understanding of Jesus saying that He is the “bread of life”.  So our sandwich must start with Jesus.  Every family must choose this bread for themselves.

Now, for the makings of the sandwich.  In this Bible verse in John, Jesus makes it clear that we are to come to him for all that we need.  The best way to do this is Prayer!  That is the “P” in our sandwich.  With the knowledge that Jesus is in us and all around us, it becomes easier to talk with Him.  The most important thing you can know about prayer is just to do it!  Any words work!  Any time and any place.  There is no right or wrong way to pray.  Just picture yourself spreading that prayer around on that piece of bread.  Cover all the areas of your life.  Anything that is important to you, is important to Jesus.  Take your time!  

Once you have taken time to talk to Jesus through prayer, you need to add the most important part of this sandwich.  Just as it would be very hard to spread peanuts on bread without the butter
consistency, prayer is more than just you talking to Jesus!  The “B” in our sandwich is beholding!  Webster defines behold as “to look, to hold in view, to see and to regard”.  Don’t just end your prayer time with Jesus without taking time to look at Him!  Behold Jesus!  Picture Him sitting across from you at the table.  Hold him in view.  Listen to him and regard what he is saying.  Prayer is a two way conversation.  Don’t miss out on the beholding.  

The sweet finish of the traditional “PB & J” is the jelly.  It doesn’t matter what kind of jelly – each person may have their own preference.  Jelly provides the complimentary flavor.    Our “J” is for journaling.  After you have talked with Jesus, looked at Him and listened to His response, make this sandwich complete by writing down your thoughts, feelings and emotions.  Don’t just focus on keeping a list of the things you prayed.  Although this can be a good way to record answers to prayer, you will be missing out on the more that is possible.  Think about how you “beheld” Jesus.  What did he look like and what was his emotion?  Write about this!  Record how you felt as you were beholding Jesus.  Make note of anything you heard Jesus speaking to you.  Journals are like the “icing on the cake” of our sandwich.  Cake is good without frosting – but it is SO much better with it!   Prayer and beholding Jesus are good. When we make record of these times, it is even better.  

Make this “PB & J” sandwich part of your family diet.  You will be satisfied!   
................................................................................................................................................
 ...............................................................................................................................................

Jesus, thank you for reminding me today about my journals.  Holy Spirit, motivate us to keep a record of the important things that you share with us.  It is a gift to grow and learn about you and ourselves through writing.  Jesus, thank you that you draw us closer to you.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment