Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 10- Vacation Bible School

Today I've been thinking about Vacation Bible School.  Last week my grandchildren attended a VBS program with some of their friends.  This week they are attending "Bible Boot Camp" at their own church.  I've had quite a bit of experience with Vacation Bible School - almost all of it as a leader.  The only experience I had at Vacation Bible School as a child was when an adult neighbor invited me to attend with her and her small children.  I was in 3rd Grade and it was a wonderful experience for me.  There are 2 things that stand out for me about that week.  The plaque above (which is some kind of stones glued on corrugated cardboard) and the fact that they gave me a Catechism.  This plaque hung in my room until I got married.

Beginning in 1989, every summer I was somehow involved with a Vacation Bible School program.  I have helped coordinate Ecumenical programs with several churches, I have written programs and adapted others.  During the years that I was Children's Ministry Director  we held some really amazing programs.  One year I used 100 yards of blue fabric (that I had purchased at a surplus factory for a "by the pound" price) to create a river that ran throughout the halls of the church and ended in a large pool in the front of the church.  On another year Ken helped me build an elaborate "robot" that was part of a large puppet theater.  Yes, creating the environment was always a big part of the program.  Oh how I loved to see all of those kids!  And I always tried to include one very special craft each year, just in case there was a little girl or boy that may hang it up and save it for 50 or more years. 

But the thing is, this week was always important to me because it was the one week of the year that children were welcomed into the church, allowed to sing and dance and have fun learning about Jesus, invite their friends, make crafts and hear Bible stories told in new ways.  It was also a time when the older children and youth were allowed to help and use their gifts and talents in service for Jesus.  This never made any sense to me. If it was okay for kids to learn this way one week, why not always?  I believe it was Vacation Bible School that got me thinking about ways to change this pattern of "one week only" and open up the church to children all 52 weeks of the year. 

Yes, I am thankful for Vacation Bible School.  I am thankful for all of the children who learn about Jesus every year in these programs.  And I am thankful for churches that welcome children into all parts of their building, including worship, every week of the year. 

Jesus, thank you for these special times of learning and growing.  Holy Spirit, continue to bring children and youth into their destiny as they experience church in new ways during Vacation Bible School.  Jesus encourage us all to see children and youth as you do.  Jesus, thank you for Bible Boot Camp and the ways that Lia, Ellie and Zeke are learning to serve others.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment