Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sharing Part 1 - where my testimony begins

So based on my post yesterday, I am going to spend the next few weeks sharing small bits and pieces of my testimony.  Some of what I will share may have already been on this blog, but I am going to assume that there is someone out there who may need to hear this today!  All day today I've been thinking about how powerful it is to hear someone's testimony.  I was remembering the many, many times that I was encouraged and uplifted hearing about the large and small miracles that happen around us day after day.  Today I decided to share my first encounter with Jesus when I was 4 years old.

I know exactly how old I was when this happened, because we only lived in Aberdeen, South Dakota for a few years.  And I was not yet in school.  One night, I had a very powerful dream that has never left me.  I was walking down a path in very beautiful garden.  Very much like the photo above.  Suddenly Jesus was with me.  He was holding my hand as we walked along.  He told me, in a way that a four year old could understand, who he was and the entire Gospel message.  I remember very clearly my surprise when Jesus said that he had died on a cross.  He assured me that it was okay, since his Daddy had brought him back to life so that all of us could live forever.  The last thing that he said to me was that Easter was about HIS story, and not the Easter bunny.  And I needed to tell everyone the truth about who Jesus is and what Easter is all about. 

I remember telling my mom about this dream, shortly afterwards.  And I remember very clearly her reaction!  Very simply it was, "We don't talk about things like this.  Don't tell anyone about this dream".   So I did as I was told.  I never said a word to anyone.  At least not until I was much older. But here's the thing! When I talk about this dream, I can still feel the way my hand felt as he was holding it.  I can't explain the powerful influence that this dream had on my life.  Shortly after this I received my first Bible.  I spent many, many hours reading that Bible.  I loved the "red letters" - everything that Jesus said.  I knew, deep down in my spirit, that Jesus was walking with me, that he loved me and cared about me.  I also knew that he had given me an important message to share. 

Most of the last 25 years I have been sharing one main message -  Children can and do hear Jesus speaking to them and God has a destiny and a plan that he will reveal for each child.  This life changing message was birthed in that dream, so long ago. 

So, this is the very beginning of my "walk" with Jesus.  I am so grateful that I had been brought to church as an infant, and became part of the family of God through Baptism.  It was a blessing to have been in Sunday School and church so that I knew who Jesus was, when I met him in this dream. 

I know that I have said this before, but here is another reminder.  God has a plan and destiny for each one of us.  That includes everyone!  Even those little children.  And more than that, Jesus wants to share this plan and destiny with us!  All we have to do is ask, wait silently, and listen!   Pick up a pen and write down those thoughts in your head.  Sketch out a picture.  Flip open your Bible and wait for a verse to come alive.  And the next time you have a chance, ask a child what Jesus has been saying to them!  You just might be surprised! 

Jesus, thank you for your presence with us! Holy Spirit, continue to empower us to share our stories.  Give us courage and boldness to testify about the miracles and wonders that happen each day.  Thank you Jesus, for this blog and all that take time to read these words.  Bless them with assurance of your presence with them.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment