Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thankful to be flying the flag......


So today is one of those days that lots of people decide to put a flag out to celebrate the Fourth of July!  At our house, we have a flag flying EVERY day - since 9/11.  I can't imagine coming home and not seeing that flag on the house.  Just last weekend Ken put up a new flag.  Something that we do about once a year.  We knew that our old flag had gotten a bit faded and we were planning to change it out.  Then we had a very bad storm with strong winds, and one side of our flag came loose.  So the decision to change to the new flag was an easy one! 

I do love the fourth of July.  For all of my childhood we were at the "Lake" for the 4th.  From the time I was in early grade school, I had firecrackers!  Everyone did.  The little ones (although I know they were still dangerous) were called "Lady Fingers".  And we always had some "Big" firecrackers and fireworks that we shot off, usually off of a raft out in the lake.  Yes, I have lots of great memories of family celebrations around this holiday.  I remember one very memorable July 4th, when I got the worst sunburn of my life!  I had been out on the lake for the entire day.  The backs of my legs were a blistered mess!  And just to get in a plug for the use of sunscreen, I had to have a small growth removed from my leg, thanks in part to that sunburn.  Needless to say, I use sunscreen every day now.  Boy how things have changed! 

So tonight I am also thankful for the wonderful cool air coming from our vents!  Yes, we got our new furnace and air conditioner.  This was not an inexpensive day. 
And it was not an easy day for the guys doing the installation!  Our furnace is in a tight little closet in our powder room.  And we have 37 year old pipes and tubes and wires.  These wonderful men finally left our house around 8:00pm last night.  And even though it was only in the 50's, we ran that air conditioning.  For the first time in several days, I could actually breath!  It's amazing how much difference it makes when you have allergies.  It was money well spent.  We will have a much more efficient furnace for next winter also, and we won't be concerned about having no heat when it is below zero. 

Yes, it has been a couple of thankful days.  I love that even in the midst of various obstacles and not so wonderful events, I am reminded to be thankful for all that we have.  I think somewhere around noon today, I realized that I was feeling quite upbeat!  Normally this would not be something to write about.  But given the past couple of weeks, it was a miracle!  In my Bible reading today, I read

" But you, Lord, are a shield around me, the glory and the One who lifts my head high.  I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy mountain.  I lie down and sleep.  I wake again, because the Lord sustains me."  Psalm 3:3-5

I love thinking about Jesus lifting my head up (helping me be upbeat)!  Yes, it is amazing thing to remember that every day that we wake up, it is because Jesus is the one who sustains us.  Yes, its been a good couple of days.  And more fun in the long weekend ahead. 

Jesus, you are an amazing and wonderful Lord.  Thank you for your answers when I call out to you.  Holy Spirit thank you for peace and joy and rest.  Thank you for air conditioning and gifted and talented men to install it.  Thank you for family time and holidays and celebrations.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment