Monday, August 12, 2013

Motivated to Pray

After a long weekend of scrapbooking fun, I got home yesterday somewhat tired, but feeling that I had accomplished what I set out to do.  I had completed 53 pages.  Quite a lot of paper cutting and tape and glue.  And also lots of Jesus moments, as I blogged yesterday.  Then, just as I was getting ready to go to bed last night, there was another...... well, Jesus moment! 

I flipped on the television to check on the weather for this week and accidentally hit an unknown button on the remote.  I'm sure that you know this frustration.  So, I promptly started to switch back to the weather channel, and just as hit the button, I saw what was coming on that other channel.  So, I just as quickly, switched back.  (Before I talk about that program on that other channel, I need to again, restate that I am in a total truth-telling business on this blog.  I will not write anything that isn't the truth.)  As soon as I saw that the movie that was just beginning on that channel was "The Hiding Place" - the story of Corrie Ten Boom's life, I knew that this was surely a "Jesus Moment". 
I have read the BOOK many times, over and over, but I have never seen the movie.  The movie was made in 1975 and got wonderful reviews at the time.  Over the years I have heard that this is a wonderful movie. With the video of Corrie Ten Boom that I saw last week, I knew that there must be something that Yahweh was speaking to me. So, I sat back, intending to watch, knowing that Jesus must have some reason for me to see this at this time. 

I know the story.  I even know how it ends.  I know the history of the movie.  But as I started watching, it was just too much.  I can't quite explain how I felt.  But my heart was racing and my palms were sweating.  And it was BECAUSE I knew what was going to happen.  Because I know it is a FACTUAL movie.  After about 40 minutes, I knew that I could not watch anymore.  I turned off the movie.  So, today I have been trying to figure out what was going on!  Why was I so upset by this movie - a story I know well. 

As I was praying and asking for revelation about this event, I was remembering being at the National Holocaust Museum in Washington DC.  And remembering seeing Corrie Ten Boom's name on the wall of people who assisted the Jews during World War II.  And then I was flashing to some of the conversations that we had during the scrapbook time.  Somehow we were talking about my father and my father-in-law and the time that they spent in World War II.  My dad was drafted and served in the navy from 1943 to 1945.  My father-in-law also was in the navy, but didn't begin to serve until 1945.  Both of them served in the Pacific and were not in Europe at all.  My mom was left at home with two young children during those years.  My brother was just 18 months old and my sister was 5 when my dad left.
 (My mom and dad, sister Karen and brother Jerry in 1943)
(Below, is my dad, in 1943 shortly after he entered the navy)
 

My mom moved back to her home town so that she could be close to her family.  I simply can't imagine living during that time.  She had no idea even WHERE my dad was at.  And there was no real news to speak of.  The only thing she often talked about was that there were so many other women in the same position, that she never felt alone.  Yes, I began today to see once again, how Yahweh has been providing for my family.  And I thought about my 93 year old father-in-law.  Thank you Jesus for what you have been doing in his life. Then I thought about Corrie and remembered all those names on that wall in the Holocaust Museum.  The hundreds and hundreds of people who listened to the Lord and helped the persecuted - the Jews, the sick, the disabled, the mentally challenged.  And I knew that this is a reminder to me that I can not just shut off the TV when I hear of Christians that are being persecuted around the world.  I can not pretend not to see the turmoil in the middle east - in Jerusalem.  I know what I need to do. Last week there was a call to join with millions of others to pray for the peace of Jerusalem on October 6, 2013,  There is a website at www.daytopray.com.  You can read the post on this event at Elijah List.   I am convinced that Yahweh is encouraging me to get more involved in the what is happening around me.  So, be in prayer about your part in this call to stand for Jerusalem.  And look at the resources for this event. 

Thank you Jesus for speaking to me through my family and through television programs.  Help me to listen to your voice so that I know what part I am to play in events as they come to my attention.  Yahweh, your plan is to use each of us to fulfill your destiny in this world.  Thank you for showing me your provision and blessing on my family.  Holy Spirit, motivate others to hear your voice so that we can stand together for those around us who are persecuted or in need.  Thank you for the intercessors around me that already do this.  Yahweh, continue to raise up the five fold ministries in your body so that we can function as you have designed.  Bless all those who are planning and a part of the call to pray for Jerusalem.  Encourage them, give them creative ideas, and surround them with others to help.  Thank you Jesus.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment