Thursday, August 8, 2013

Jesus is in it all......

Today I have been preparing for a wonderful "away" weekend that begins tomorrow.  This is a special girls Scrapbooking Weekend.  Yes, I admit that I am a dedicated scrapbooker.  Scrapbooking is so much more than a hobby for me.  It is a relaxing thing that is also a creative outlet. It has been a time of listening to Jesus and gaining some amazing insights into the people and events as I put pictures and words on paper.   And more than that, I get to spend time with my daughter and daughter-in-law.

When my daughter Gwen was in college, she began to suggest to me that our "magnetic" photo albums were ruining our pictures.  As I have mentioned before, my photo's were all in albums.  So I set out to scrapbook 30 years - YES 30 years of pictures.  I began by choosing only about 6 to 8 pictures from each year - starting in 1972.  And I managed to complete a series of 3 books that have a page a year from 1972 - 1997 with just a couple of exceptions.  I did include an extra page in 1979 and 1982 when Gwen and Doug were born.  Then in 1997, I realized that this was far more than a few pictures a year.  This was the way I wanted to not only preserve my photos, but also journal and leave words with the pictures, so that the story would not be lost.  So now, in 2013, I will have 4 or more albums for the year!  Quite a difference. 

Gwen had begun to scrapbook around the same time as me - while she was in college.  I am so thankful that she encouraged me and pressed me to keep on with my seemingly endless project.  After she was married in 2001, I realized that I needed to go back and scrapbook my own wedding.  It was such a special project.  And I began a "heritage album" with many of the photos I have used in this blog, of my parents and grandparents and other ancestors.  Every vacation was also an opportunity to make a new album.  Needless to say, I have an entire bookcase full of albums. It wasn't long after Susie, my daughter-in-law started being at every family event, that Gwen and I decided it was time to hook her on scrapbooking.  So one Christmas we loaded her up with supplies and promised some "scrap lessons".   Now these 3 or 4 times a year weekends are simply a joy! 

Gwen has a group of friends who also scrapbook and so they are a part of these weekends.  Spending time in fellowship with this amazing group of young women is so life giving.    These women are committed to their husbands, to their families and to Jesus.  I am the "grandma" of the group, but I always feel so blessed to be included.  I have recently gotten one of my friends into this hobby, so she will be joining us this weekend also.  Nothing better than friends and family! 

I just love the way that Yahweh is a part of ALL of our activities - not just our church meetings.  I love that every single thing that we do, we do with Jesus in us.  I love to remember that the Bible is full of stories of people doing everyday things.  And Yahweh was speaking to them, using them, and accomplishing His plans through these people at ordinary times.  The disciples were fishing.  Paul was making tents. So many people just doing the day to day.  Sometimes we miss what Yahweh is doing in our regular activities, because we are not looking for Him or listening to Him.  So this weekend I am going to pay particular attention to those "God Moments".  And I will spend time listening for Jesus to speak.  AND I will accomplish a bit of scrapbooking - hopefully 35 or more pages!

Yahweh, thank you for friends and family. Thank you for creative gifts, for photographs that record our life events and ways to preserve them. Jesus, you are always with us because of your great plan to actually live IN us. What an amazing gift. Thank you for reminding me that you are a part of everything I do,  Continue to remind us, Jesus, to be aware of you acting in us and through us - in ordinary events.  Amen
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment