Saturday, August 17, 2013

Not content with sitting anymore!

This is a very old picture of our house.  The same house we have lived in since 1978 - which is when this picture was taken.  We were in the process of moving in when this was taken.  I had a somewhat surreal experience today.  I was walking back to the house after getting the mail at about 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.  When I reached the front sidewalk by our house, I just stopped.  The neighborhood was totally quiet.  There was not a sound from any direction.  There were no children, no bikes, no kids playing.  There was not even any lawn mowers or people working on their houses or cars.  Simply quiet. The mark of a "changing neighborhood".  Not the way some might think - but simply aging.  Now, to be fair, there are some children in our neighborhood.  In fact, right next door.  But they are not home much.  In the immediate 12 houses, the two preschoolers next door are the only kids under the age of 16.  When Gwen started kindergarten, there were 15 kindergarten kids picked up at the bus stop right in front of our house!  And that was just one of many stops in our neighborhood.  How times have changed.  I miss the noisy play of the kids riding bikes and skateboards up and down the block.  I miss the laughing and the running and the fun.   I loved to sit out front and watch the action on the block.  Some of my favorite memories are of that time, sitting!

Which brings me to today's revelation.  Today I was thinking about this year at work.  Both families that I work for are in the process of moving into new homes.  And both homes are undergoing renovations.   I am sure that Yahweh will be speaking to me about this in the coming months.  He is in the business of restoration projects!  But then suddenly I heard the words "You are not a sitter".  At first I just kind of thought, "No, I'm not a sitter, I am a nanny".  (Since I was thinking about work, this made sense.)  But then I realized what Yahweh was saying to me.  He was actually giving me some very important direction for my life.  And I love the way that he often speaks to me in word plays.  Then Jesus went on to give me some further direction.  I am not to be just a receiver, I need to be a transmitter.  This is actually what Yahweh wants for ALL of us.  We should not just be receiving from Him, without giving out.

Today's message is DON'T BE A SITTER (JUST A  RECEIVER ) BE A TRANSMITTER! 

I looked up the word transmitter in the dictionary.  Once again thanks to Websters online dictionary, I found that a transmitter is a necessary component of communication that broadcasts or sends out, to be received by others.  The second definition was, something that amplifies and modulates what it receives into a meaningful sound that can be interpreted. 

Yep, Jesus wants us to be transmitters of all that he is putting into us! We each need to take in everything that Yahweh is speaking to us, through His word, through others around us, through teachers.  But then we need to let the Holy Spirit in us, be the one that amplifies and/or modulates what we have taken in.  In that way our sharing with others will be understood and meaningful. The mistake that I have been making (and many others make) is to just be content with SITTING!  We just take in and take in.  We have learned to be good receivers.  But we haven't gone to that next level and learned to be TRANSMITTERS!  It does take practice.  We need to let the Holy Spirit remind us when and what to share.  But we need to be expectant and willing.    I am thankful for this blog that has allowed me to get some practice in being a transmitter.  And I will look for more ways to broadcast the amazing things that I have been receiving.

Yahweh, thank you for speaking to me in such a personal way.  You know exactly how to get my attention.  Jesus I love that you speak into my life and give me direction and guidance, even when I am not really asking.  Help us all to learn to listen to the Holy Spirit giving us directions and encouragement to share. Help us to remember to not just be SITTERS.  Give us your desire to be transmitters.   It is so neat that your plan is to use us as your transmitters!  You are a great and wonderful God.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment