Monday, August 19, 2013

More about my dad - part two

Okay, so I was looking back on my blog posts and I have already mentioned many things about my dad.  But, in addition to the things I wrote about yesterday, and his building things (post about Lake Maud),  there is another thing that I always think about.  My dad loved photography.  I can picture him with his camera around his neck.  And I am so grateful for all the photos that he took. Most people my age are lucky to have a few pictures.  As I said before, we had BOXES of pictures. Here is a photo from one of those boxes..... 
This picture is exactly what you are thinking it is.  But look closely...........  Yes, that is scaffolding all over Mt. Rushmore.  This picture was actually taken during the construction of this national monument.  How many people have this kind of picture in their family album?  My dad was traveling around to various Montgomery Ward stores in the late 1930's and his route took him right past Mt. Rushmore.  I am so thankful that he had that camera with him and took the time to stop and take this photo.  I was so blessed to actually be with my dad on a family vacation in 1964 when we visited Mt. Rushmore.  I remember clearly my dad talking about taking this photo.  I couldn't imagine seeing this being built.  My dad also took spools and spools of movies.  I am also blessed to have these movies as videos (thanks to my brother Jerry for this very BIG project of converting these to videos that included having my mom narrate a voice over of the silent films - what a priceless project).  All of my siblings will remember those dreaded Christmas movies and pictures.  They were never done on Christmas, but usually just before we were taking down the tree.  I remember my mom telling me that often, the Christmas toys were already broken before we ever got the movie done.  My dad would pull out that huge light bar that blinded anyone in the room.  We all had to sit and pose and wave, and of course smile.  But I am so thankful for those movies. And the photos.  The good thing about those Christmas pictures, is that usually, we got at least one picture that included my dad. 
This is Christmas 1955 and I am the one on the stool. (By the way, that was a little yellow stool that my dad made and it was around all of my life.  As far as I know, someone in my family, now has custody of that little stool!)

There are two things that come to my mind as I write this.  The first is that people often say you marry your dad.  And in so many ways, I am seeing that this is true for me.  Ken loves all things electronic and he seems to have been born with a camera in his hand.  My dad loved Ken so much.  It was such a blessing to me that my parents really embraced him and made him a part of our family. So I suppose I can see how that saying might be true for me.  The second thing that is on my heart, is the entire photography thing.  Just today Gwen posted an instagram Iphone photo of my granddaughter Lia, with a really big and expensive digital camera pressed to her face, taking pictures.  I am convinced that Yahweh is really showing me something in all of this.  There is meaning and value in taking photos and preserving (think scrapbooking) our life experiences.  And I believe that it is a part of the plan and destiny for my family. I am so blessed to be able to look at my children and grandchildren and know that these traits of my father are living on. 

Thank you Yahweh for reminding me about my dad and bringing me to an increased revelation of your plan and destiny for me.  Thank you so much for the ways you have brought me to this time and place of understanding in a better way, more about my dad.  Jesus you have sown seeds into my life and into my children and grandchildren.  Holy Spirit, thank you for watering and nurturing those deep things in us.  Yahweh, help all that read this blog, to see what you have sown into their generations.  Bring greater revelation that gives hope, joy and peace for today.  Amen

PS - Final installment (for now) about my dad tomorrow - on the 100th anniversary of his birth. 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment