Thursday, August 22, 2013

unexpected results of a detour

So what it is about road construction that makes me think that those who plan these projects just don't have any common sense????  Why do they chose to dig up and repair several parallel roads that are main arteries at the same time?  And then throw in, that it is the first week of school and there are many new bus drivers on the road that are struggling with new routes and all of those kids!


Today I had an amazing drive home from work.  That is an interesting sentence!  My drive home is usually painful and long.  After having a TERRIBLE drive home earlier this week, (see paragraph number 1 - road construction everywhere) I decided to take a different way home today.  I have never taken this particular route because, in my head, it seemed longer.  I really thought it was a much longer distance.  But I was wrong!  In spite of the fact that there were actually non-functioning traffic lights at two intersections, I got home in 1/2 the time it usually takes on a GOOD traffic night. 

This has caused me to reflect this evening on what is sometimes so GOOD that comes out of a bad situation or event.  I know that I might never have taken this other route home, if it were not for that road construction.  And now I have a great new route that will save me lots of time and headaches.   I thought about taking a different route home yesterday, but it seemed easier to just go my usual way.  So I was extra tired and frustrated after spending an additional 30 minutes getting home.  

Isn't that crazy?  Why do we do things like that?  I have been thinking of the many times I have chosen the "normal" route or done the same old thing.  Even when I was frustrated and even angry, it wasn't enough to move me to make a change.  Yep, change is good!  Tonight I am going to celebrate making changes.  Instead of just being paralyzed into inactivity I will purpose to find a different way!

Yahweh doesn't want us to be stagnant and unchanging.  He is a great and awesome God that, while HE never changes, his Kingdom is always INCREASING!  And that increase means there are changes happening.  His river of life is not a stagnant pool of sitting water.  It is a life filled river that flows from the throne onto all of us and all of creation.  The Kingdom is on the move! Hallelujah!
And I want to be on the move also. 

Yahweh, thank you for speaking so clearly to me, in the midst of my mundane life driving in road construction.  Jesus, thank you for reminding me that your judgement for us is BLESSING and you have more for us ahead.  Give us all courage to take a new route.  To go a different way and experience new things.  Help us to be bold to step out and celebrate you Jesus.  Thank you for your love and care and concern - even in the smallest things.   Amen







No comments:

Post a Comment