Thursday, September 12, 2013

A time to remember......

You know how sometimes the strangest things make you remember something from the past - and usually there is no reason for the connection?  Well, I had one of those moments today.  I was really enjoying spending time with my little, almost 20 month old nanny boy.  We had been at the public library for story time.  The story time was wonderful.  Michael really entered into the event - sitting quietly on my lap for the stories, standing and singing and clapping with the songs, he followed all the directions.  It was just an amazing time.  I really love having the chance to spend time seeing the world through his eyes.  Shortly after returning home from the library, it was nap time.  I don't know what it was about this morning, but this picture just popped into my mind....
 
This picture was taken in the summer of 1983.  Doug and Gwen are sitting on the lap of "Great Grandma Baker" (Ken's maternal grandmother).   I think that there is something about Michael that reminded me of Doug in this picture. Doug was about 18 months old and Gwen was about 4 1/2.  I know that over and over on this blog I have talked about how important pictures are for me.  This is one of those "important" pictures. Grandma Baker was a very special person in Ken's life.  As a matter of fact, I remember when we were first dating, that Ken talked over and over about his Grandma.  For me this was really something.  Remember that I barely have any real memories of my grandparents.  And when I listened to Ken talk about Grandma Baker, it was like all the stories I had read about grandparents.  Grandma was there to be with Ken when his mom was in the hospital.  Often Ken would be sent to spend summers with his grandparents, who lived in Florida.  And it was Grandma Baker's recipes that Ken always asked me to make. (And that is still true today - Chicken Paprikash and Filled Raisin Cookies).  I remember when Ken's Grandpa Baker died in 1976, he expressed concern that Grandma would be around to see our kids.  I loved that she got to see and get to know both Gwen and Doug.  She said over and over how much Doug reminded her of Kenny.  Although this was only the second time she had ever been with Gwen and the first time with Doug, they both loved her.  And, once again, it is the generational shift that is on my mind. 
 
I am so thankful that I got to have Grandma Baker in my life.   However, tonight I am also sort of sad.  Grandma Baker did not have any religious background at all.  She never went to church.  Her family never went to church.  Apparently when her mother had come from Protestant Ireland, they were escaping from the pressure of religion and religious conflict.  And they walked away from the church.  And there was a very real void in her life.  When Grandpa died, I remember that it was very dark and cold and sad for her.  She did not have the promise and the assurance of eternal life. For all the great things that she did for her family, she did not leave a spiritual legacy.    All of this affirms to me, how important it is that I am able to share my faith with my children and grandchildren.  I am so thankful that Jesus is a part of my life and I have been able to pass on a strong spiritual heritage. 
 
Jesus, thank you for reminding me of special people and special times in our lives.  But Jesus, thank you for also reminding me of what is really important to pass on to our children and grandchildren.  Holy Spirit, bless all those grandparents and parents reading this blog.  Draw them into a deeper relationship with Jesus and strengthen their resolve to leave a wonderful spiritual legacy.  Jesus, thank you for Michael!  Pour out your blessings on him and his entire family.   Amen 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment