Sunday, September 8, 2013

Making better choices.... through GPS

Today's project was the installation of a new garbage disposal.  Once again, I am so thankful that Ken can do these projects.  I can only imagine how much a plumber would charge for this job.  As usual, any plumbing project always requires at least two trips to the hardware store.  After the requisite two trips to the local Ace Hardware store, the job was done.  I took the opportunity to clean out the cabinet that holds the garbage disposal and washed all of the pans that were stored there.  I also decided that most of my baking pans needed to be replaced.  I can't tell you how old most of these pans are.  Looking at them, I just know that they have served us well but now they need to be retired.  So I will be watching for those sales to get a few new cake pans, and a bread pan.  This is certainly no big rush, since I have not done much baking recently.  That is until today.  I noticed those 4 over-ripe bananas on the counter and saw that bread pan and decided to make banana bread.  It was so good to smell that bread baking when we were in the midst of this plumbing project.  And it tastes awesome!

I've been reflecting on the WHY in "Why don't I bake stuff more often?"  And part of the answer is contained in "out of sight and out of mind".  Those pans were hidden away under the sink and I didn't think about them very much.  And, quite frankly, when I did think about it, I was usually not at home.  That seems like a poor excuse, but it is true.  And then the second reason that I stopped doing the baking was that I also stopped doing the eating!  Yes, being on Weight Watchers for the last year has put a stop to those cookies and muffins and yummy breads.  Today I found that I can still bake that bread, but have the restraint to only eat 1 piece rather than 1/3 of the loaf. That is the direct result of watching my eating habits for the last year.  I can make better choices.

Wow.  Isn't that a powerful sentence.  I CAN MAKE BETTER CHOICES!  There is so much in that sentence.  I can make better choices about how I spend my time.  I can make better choices about what I read/watch/see/hear.  I can make better choices about who I associate with.  I can make better choices.  And the best thing is that I can pay attention to the direction of the Holy Spirit and then make those better choices.  I am so thankful for the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in me.  What an amazing gift of the Father and Son.  Today I was thinking about the scripture verse John 16:13 "But when he, the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth."  WOW!  What a great reminder that it is the Holy Spirit that guides us to the truth.  It is the Holy Spirit that helps us make those better choices.  The Holy Spirit reminds me that the banana bread has calories and I need to balance my consumption to stay healthy.  That is truth.  And this is just one more very small way that Jesus shows me everyday how much he cares for me and loves me.  Jesus made sure he left us with an internal GPS!  God's Personal Spirit! 

Jesus, help me to remember that the power to make ALL the choices and decisions in my life comes from the Holy Spirit.  Not just the small things - but ALL things.  Thank you for caring so much about us that you sent the Holy Spirit to live IN us.  You made sure that we had your Divine guidance through that internal GPS you gave us.  What an amazing gift.  Jesus, please remind all of us that we have ALL the power and guidance and truth right inside of us because of the Holy Spirit.  And thank you, once again, for Ken's ability to fix what is broken.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment