Thursday, September 26, 2013

Newspaper article, Helen Keller and another old friend...

Today I have seen a couple of interesting things on the Internet.  First, in my local paper. There was a feature story about two "life-long friends" who are celebrating their 100th birthday.  Isn't that amazing?   And they were able to celebrate together.  The picture actually showed them sitting together with their hands clasped.  What a marvelous story of friendship.  And then I happened on an incredible video.  Can I just say, that you can find almost anything on You Tube.  I don't know exactly how I linked into this video, but you need to take a moment and watch this link.  Even You Tube says that this is a RARE video.  It is Helen Keller.  As I was watching this video, I was thinking about the special kind of friendship she had with her two long-time aids.  First, Ann Sullivan and then in the later years, Polly Thomson.  Yes, this was a super special friendship that was life changing for Helen Keller. 

So with these couple of things just showing up, I've decided that Jesus must really have something that he is trying to communicate to me about friendship this week.   I guess I will continue on down this road.................
Me and Sue Avery Ryan in 1987
So my next "long time" friend that I want to tell you about is someone from my very long ago past.  I actually met her when I was 6 years old and she was 5 years old.  Even though we were only 6 months apart in age we were in different grades in school.  The interesting thing about this friendship is that we have hardly spoken in the last 30 years, but we still send those Christmas Cards!  I know something about her life now thanks to Christmas letters, and she knows something about mine. Her name is Sue Avery Ryan.  She was my "grade school" friend.  We spent hours and I mean HOURS playing together.  Her mom kind of "adopted" me because my mom worked and I was left in the care of my brother.  And let's just say that he didn't do a very good job of looking out for me.  I loved being at Sue's house.  She lived just kitty-corner from us about 3 houses away.  She was the oldest of her family and I remember when her brother Billy was born.  Mrs. Avery let me feed Billy his morning bottle while I was waiting for the bus at their house.  Her sister Cathy was just 2 years younger than Sue and I, but I don't really remember being with her very much.  She had a brother Jimmy that was 4 years younger than her.  Billy was born when we were about 8 or so and then when we were in our early teens, her sister Anne was born.  I loved NOT being the youngest!  I loved playing school and having all those little kids to boss around.  Another really wonderful thing was that Sue had cousins that lived close by.  And those cousins would come for visits.  I loved that they included me - even when the cousins were visiting.  Sue and I played dolls most of the time.  We would set up very elaborate "orphanages" with all of our dolls.  We made up wonderful stories about each doll.  I sure wish we had taken the time to write down some of those tales.  It was very clear that both Sue and I were readers because we were always making up these stories.  I remember when Sue's mom came home from a shopping trip with a brand new doll for Sue.  It was a Barbie Doll!  Yep, it was 1961 and she had one of those very first Barbies.  It wasn't so long after that when I actually got a Barbie.  Mine has the short hair, not the pony tail.  And Gwen now has that Barbie doll, along with most of the baby dolls that Sue and I played with.  When I was in 5th grade I cried for days because Sue was moving away.  Actually, they only moved about 5 miles away, but to me, she was gone.  My mom made sure that I had plenty of sleep overs with Sue, but it just was not the same as being right across the street.  A couple of years later, we left Minnesota for Chicago, and Sue and I continued to write letters.  Again, not the same closeness.  She got married, I got married and we each had children.  Her two sons and one daughter are very close in age to Gwen and Doug.  In the later years I would talk with her on the phone when I visited my mom.  And a couple of times she came over to see me on one of our visits to Minnesota. The picture above is from one of those visits.  And then there are the Christmas Card letters and pictures. 

You know, I don't think Sue would really "get" how important her friendship was to me.  In so many ways, her family was sort of my "ideal" family.  The kids were all close in age.  The mom stayed home and didn't work.  The dad didn't travel all the time.  The mom and dad were NOT  grandparents.  Looking back, I can see how Jesus placed this friend and this family in my life, at exactly the correct moment.  I needed all of those things during a time when those things were NOT in my family.  And it was such a blessing to me.  My mom always said that she felt so much better knowing that Mrs. Avery was watching out for me.  My mom did not "chose" to work.  She HAD to work.  My father had some medical issues and surgeries and there were bills to pay.  I know that she did not want to go to work in 1960 and leave me alone.  It was just what she had to do.  I am so thankful for Sue and all those years of playing together.  Yep, grades school friends are important. 
I tried to find out if Sue has a facebook page, but couldn't locate her.  And I don't even have an email address for her.  Can you believe it?  We actually still just communicate by snail mail.  I think I will have to write her an actual letter to tell her about this post! 

Jesus, thank you for reminding me of all the people you have placed in my life.  Holy Spirit, remind us all to see the people around us with your eyes.  Thank you Jesus for showing me your provision for me, even when I didn't understand what I needed.  It is so wonderful that you know who we are and what we are going through, and then you provide exactly what we need.  Jesus, you are simply amazing.  Continue to speak to me in the days ahead about these special friends.  And Holy Spirit, will you also remind those reading this today, of all the ways that Jesus is providing for them.  Bless these special friends - especially Sue and her family.  Thanks Jesus!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment