Friday, September 6, 2013

Sad Sammy the dog........

Last weekend one of my special "grand dogs" came to our family gathering looking like this....

This is "Sammy the Dog" - as he has been called for as long as he has been a part of our family!  We love Sammy. He was rescued by Doug and Susie when he was about 2 years old.  He is a sweet, mild mannered dog.   He has spent a couple of nights at our house on several different occasions.  He is such a well behaved guy, who just goes into his crate to sleep - all on his own.  Well, this week, he is wearing the "cone of shame".  And I just feel so sorry for this little doggie.  He has terrible allergies!  Boy, can I relate to this!  They already were giving him medicine everyday, but unfortunately, he was still itching.  In fact, he was itching so much that he has scratched all the fur off of the top of his ears and scratched his eyes. So a trip to the vet netted a cone and instructions to give him even more allergy medicine.  Look at those eyes!  He knows that something is very wrong.  He hates that cone, but it is necessary for his own good.  Several times during the day, Doug took the cone off and after a few minutes, Sammy would find a place to hide - and scratch.  So, the cone went back on. 

All week I've been thinking about that cone. That cone represents the restraints that are for our own good.  I'm sure that everybody can think of at least one example of a policy or a rule or a law or even a recommendation that can feel a lot like that cone.  For some people it might be the speed limit sign.  Or possibly it is the dosage recommendation on a bottle of a pain reliever.  Maybe it is one of the ten commandments that just seems to be asking "too much".  But today, I am seeing a little more clearly, thanks to Sammy, the meaning of "for our own good". 

For years I thought of God as that angry old man, sitting up in heaven, who just wanted to punish us at the first sign of us stepping out of line.  When you see God like this, it is really difficult to love him or to feel loved by him, for that matter.  But when you can begin to see how all of those "restrictions" really are for our own good, it is easier to understand how loving they are.  Let's face it.  That speed limit is for our own good (and the good of those around us also!).  Really, who would want to drive around if there were no traffic laws?  It would be scary and dangerous.  I am so thankful that Yahweh knew that we would need our "cones"(rules, laws, recommendations) or we would surely slink off into a hiding place to scratch! And by this I mean, getting ourselves into lots of self inflicted pain and suffering.  Isn't that the most loving thing!  Most of my work these days, is looking after a very active, very curious 20 month old boy.  I have noticed how many times this week I have used a "cone" of some kind, for Michael's own good.  I closed and locked the front door to prevent him from bolting outside without me.  I moved the knife holder to the very back of the counter when he decided to use the drawer handles like a ladder and climb the counter.  I put a very tired boy into his crib for a nap, even when he was saying (very loudly) "NO NITE NITE"!   Yes, many injuries and scary things were averted this week!  And Michael was protected - from himself!  I am so thankful that there are times when I am protected from myself!

Jesus, thank you for showing me, through Sammy, how much you love me and want the best for me.  Thank you for helping to restrain me from self inflicted pain and making bad choices. Holy Spirit thank you again for helping me to understand something that is really so simple, but at a much deeper level.  Holy Spirit, would you please remind us all that sometimes the "cones" are for our own good.  Jesus, thank you so much for Doug and Susie.  Continue to give them wisdom as they care for Sammy.  Yahweh, you are an amazing God and a loving father. Thank you for your great plan for us.  Amen 




No comments:

Post a Comment