Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The sky was silent, the church was full....

I was in an interesting position twelve years ago.  As a church secretary I was usually alone in the church office for the better part of most days. An elder care daycare group used part of the church facility to provide daytime care for senior citizens that could not be left alone.  A normal part of my early morning routine was to visit with the staff and the elderly clients, while getting my morning cup of coffee from the kitchen.   That day, twelve years ago, was not different to begin with.  I had my coffee in hand and the staff member turned on the TV to the Today show, which the clients watched every morning.  And then I saw it - the plane fly into the building.  Almost as it happened.  And then the second plane.  The clients did not understand.  But the staff did and I did.  I rushed to my office and started tying to call my family.  My daughter, Gwen, was in her first year of teaching and had only been in class for a few weeks.  What a hard start to a teaching career.  She got called to the Principal's office (scary enough) and then told the news.  The school was on "lock down" until they decided what to do.  The interesting thing about the school was that it was a mix of Muslim and Jewish children with a few others thrown in.  The school was almost across the street from a Mosque.  A very difficult situation to say the least.  My son-in-law was still in college, commuting into the city every day, so there was a concern about him actually getting home. I was able to finally connect with Ken and Doug also.  I talked to my mom that morning. She was very stoic about the event. She had lived through many big life events like this. What was on her mind, was "Pearl Harbor" day. She related that for her, that day represented the war happening CLOSE to her. And I realized that was exactly how I felt. Suddenly the terrorist activity was to close for comfort.

Then, an amazing thing happened.  There were people just showing up at the church.  They wanted to come in and pray.  I opened the doors, turned on the lights, lit the candles and began to welcome the people in.  For most of that day, there was a steady stream of people coming and going from the church.  I replaced the kleenex boxes several times.  Not much work got done that day.  People just wanted to talk and to pray.  By the time the Pastor showed up, the parking lot was full.  It had never occurred to me that there might be a problem with opening the doors.  I simply did not care.  The people needed a place to pray and they needed a place to feel safe.  And for those who were drawn to the church, that's what it was.  I did not care if they were members or just people passing by.  So, I will always remember the day as a time when the church was full - all day.  And the people were praying. 

When you have lived for over 40 years so close to the "world's busiest airport", you are used to the constant sights and sounds of airplanes in their flight patterns.  We actually get planes from both of the Chicago airports.  So the absence of the airplanes was eerie.  The sky was silent. 

Unfortunately, the full church didn't last long.  Actually, I was told not to admit anyone the next day.  There were plans made to do an "organized" service.  However, those plans never actually happened.  Some people came to pray the next couple of days.  But the word was out that the church was not "opened".  And the people went elsewhere to pray. For a few weeks there was an upturn in church attendance. But gradually, as the weeks went by, the numbers fell back to the pre 9/11 numbers.   And within a few days, the airplanes were flying again.  And life returned to normal.  The NEW normal.  The post 9/11 normal.
 

One thing that has changed and stayed changed, is that we have had a flag flying on our house for the last 12 years.  I really can't imagine our house without that flag.  It is an important symbol and a reminder that many people have given their lives to preserve the freedoms represented by that flag.  I loved seeing all the flags show up after 9/11.  And there are still many, many flags displayed on houses, commercial buildings and public places.  In spite of the many failings of our government in the last months, I am proud to have that flag displayed on my home.  I believe that the United States of America were established and blessed by God.  He has a plan and purpose for our nation, for our land and for all of us.  And his plans will be fulfilled. No act of terrorists will stop the plan.  

Just like my mom, I  have a list of "big events" that are those days that everyone knows exactly where they were when it happened.  Included on my list is the day Kennedy was assassinated, the Moon landing, the Challenger accident, and then 9/11.  I am so glad that I am not living in fear after 9/11. 
In fact, for me personally, the last 12 years have been a time of a great increase of peace and joy.  These have been wonderful years filled with family, love and growing in understanding of Jesus and His great plans.  And these years have been filled with Thanksgiving. 

Jesus, thank you for your great plan. Jesus, please comfort all those who lost loved ones on 9/11. Holy Spirit, release more of your peace and joy even right now.  Help us to see all of the things that happen from your perspective, Jesus.  Give us a truly heavenly vision.  Yahweh, there is much unrest around the world today.  Strengthen your people and give them courage and boldness to stand in the midst of turmoil. Remind us to stand with them and cover them with our prayers.  Holy Spirit HOVER over them today.  Amen  



No comments:

Post a Comment