Thursday, October 17, 2013

Amazing surprise...........

Isn't it wonderful when you open your mailbox and find something totally unexpected.....and it's not a bill?  I had that great experience today!  After having a relaxing lunch with a dear old friend, I returned home to this surprise in my mailbox.  My brother-in-law, Roy, send me a package of memorabilia from my mother and father that had been in his possession.  He recently moved into a senior apartment and in clearing out his large home, he discovered these items.  I am assuming that my sister had gotten these items from my mother at some point.  I am sure that all of you will be seeing some of these items in the future.  But today I have to share this...........

This postcard was in my surprise package today.  This is my dad, Harry Johnson, in 1915 when he was two years old.  I had never seen this picture before today!  In fact, a picture I had shared on this blog earlier of my dad at about 6 or 7 years old, with his family, was what I thought was the first picture we had of him!  I was so surprised to see this picture.  I immediately began to compare it to a picture of me at 2 years old, as well as pictures of my kids and grandkids at 2!  I think my sister Julie gets the prize for looking the most like him.  But I can see the family resemblance down through my grandchildren.  If that wasn't enough, the back side of this postcard is written by my Grandmother.  And it is written in Swedish!  The postmark is August 18, 1915, just before my dad's 2nd birthday.  It has a 1 Cent stamp! 
Here is the postcard.  Addressed to Mrs. August Nilson from Mrs. Johnson.  Mailed in Ortonville to Ortonville, Minnesota.  If there is anyone out there who can read this Swedish message, I would love a translation! 
 
As I hold this card in my hand, and trace the writing on the back, I am picturing my Grandma.  By the way, it is written in pencil!  And I am thinking of the many other hands that touched this card.  And I wish that I knew how this card ended back up in the hands of our family!  It should have been in the Nilson family.  I am just speculating that because it was a photo, it was returned to my grandma.  At any rate, I am so thankful that it has found its way into my hands. 
 
And as I am writing this blog tonight, I am reflecting on what Jesus is saying to me in this.  I was beginning to wonder why I have been so focused on my ancestors, on old pictures, on my family history and stories.  This morning in my quiet time, I was asking Jesus to speak to me about this.  There is also the connection to this blog!  I am not understanding why so many of you are taking the time to stop and read my words, but you are!  And I am praying that you are being blessed and challenged and encouraged as you read.  When I opened this surprise package from my mailbox today, it was as if Jesus was answering my questions.  There is more that I have yet to discover!  There is more that the Holy Spirit has to speak to me (and to you) through this medium.  And I am being so stretched in this process.  This has been an interesting journey.  I can't wait to see what comes next!
 
Jesus, thank you for surprises.  Holy Spirit, I love that you answer us when we ask a very direct question.  Please show each person reading this blog, exactly what they need, right now.  Jesus, I am so grateful for this blog and the ability to speak to people all over the world.  Thank you for computers, the Internet, blogs, scans, and all things of modern technology.  Holy Spirit, help me to stay expectant for the next amazing revelation you have for me.  And Jesus, I would love the translation of this postcard!  Thank you!   Amen 


No comments:

Post a Comment