Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Bone in the Stone and the hands on the rope!

If you have been reading my blog, you will know that sometimes it is the weirdest things that Jesus uses to get a point across.  Well, today was not an exception!  I was watching the half hour television program (he is only allowed one program a day) with my little 20 month old buddy.  During the middle of the program there is a "short" of a different little program.  It was called "Furry Friends".  It is an interesting program that uses real animals (dogs, kittens, rabbits, Guinea pigs, mice, hamsters) against computer generated backgrounds.  Today's episode was called "The Bone in the Stone"!  Okay, bear with me here, there is really a point to this! 

In this cute little program there was a dog who wanted to be the leader of his friends.  But in order to be the leader he needed to remove the bone that was stuck in a stone.  Of course, he could not get that bone to move.  All of his friends (think all of those other real animals) wanted to help him get that bone out.  The dog refused their help because he would not be the "real" leader if anyone else helped him.  A wise owl came to him and told him that all good leaders accept help from their friends.  Getting help does not mean you are not the leader.  So all of the animals helped him, and together they pulled the bone out of the stone.  In the end, the dog became the leader (the king) of all of his friends. 
I couldn't get this little program out of my mind.  In the short 30 minutes that my fussy, crabby little one napped,  I was thinking about this.  Suddenly I had a vision of the 5 fold ministries.  I was seeing a hand and on each finger was written one of these anointings -  Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, Apostle, Teacher.  The interesting thing was I was also seeing the other hand!  And then the message was much more clear.  Yes, those that are operating in those positions of the 5 fold ministries in the body of Christ, all need the support of the others. They each need the input and accountability of those in the other offices of the 5 fold.  Just as the fingers on a hand must stay together, so should those called into these important positions.  There is really nothing new in that revelation.  But then I saw and understood the other hand in my vision!  It is all of us that are a part of the body of Christ.  If we are sitting back and expecting the Pastor or the Prophet to "get the bone out of the stone" on their own, it simply isn't going to happen!  They all need us to stand with them and help them accomplish the tasks that they are called to do.  It takes two hands to hold on to that rope and pull on that bone! 

So, I encourage you to look around, and find those in authority over you, that need your help.  Is there someone who just needs a word of praise or a pat on the back?  Or someone who needs to know that you are praying for them?  Possibly there is a ministry that you have been following, but never really supported (in attendance, by prayer or through finances) - even someone on the TV or the radio.  Is there some concrete way that you can serve? Is there someone who led a Bible Study that changed your life? They might need to hear your testimony today.  I know that I have a few things to take care of right now!  And, more importantly, I have a very different perspective on my own roll in ministry.  I know that I will be seeing those two hands, joining together to accomplish great things for Jesus!

Jesus, thank you - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!   I just love how you take the silly little things and show me something so important.  Please help me to remember this lesson and to follow through with my part in the tasks that you set before me.  Holy Spirit, please remind and encourage those Pastors, Prophets, Evangelists, Apostles, and Teachers that they NEED EACH OTHER!  Bring them together with a renewed commitment to be accountable and supportive of each other.  And Jesus, would you please make those connections to those who are operating "out of hand".  Holy Spirit, thank you for showing me so clearly, of how much you need all of us in the body to do our part.  Give us courage and boldness to fulfill our destiny for your glory.    Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment