Monday, October 7, 2013

When I really needed a nap....

Don't you wish sometimes that you could go back and be a child? Today, for some reason, my little guy just did not want to take a nap.  He was in his bed for a long time, but he was playing and laughing and looking at books.  It was clear that he just wasn't about to take a nap.  I, on the other hand, was sitting on the couch watching the video monitor, struggling to stay awake!  *(Side note - Yes, a video monitor -  I can sit on the couch and watch the 20 month old, in his crib and listen to him also!  WOW these new fangeled inventions!) If I could have changed places with him, I would have!  I was the one who needed the nap!  Thankfully, he fell asleep in the car and at least had about 45 minutes of a nap, which made the afternoon bearable.
image of split rail fence  - an old fence divides a green pasture - JPG
This got me thinking about the old adage "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".  I am sure that my little guy was thinking about NOT being captive in his crib and would rather have been running around, while I was longing for my bed!  I remember that when my kids were much younger, I longed for the day when they were grown and gone from the house.  However, when that time actually came, I was longing for them to be back home!  Now, I look longingly at friends who have already retired and image how wonderful it would be to NOT have to get up for work every day.  But, on the other hand, I understand the many worries of health and finances after giving up your regular income. 
 
So, today I am going to take 1Timothy 6:6 to heart - "But godliness with contentment is great gain". Because isn't that adage really about not being content with your present circumstances?  Contentment is about satisfaction.  Being satisfied with the status quo.   Not being envious or desiring what someone else has.  Also, I think that gratitude is a large part of this.  Being grateful for what you have and where you are at in your life. And we have so much to be grateful about.  The list is so long, that I won't spend the time to add the full list.  Family, friends, health, home, jobs and Jesus certainly top the list.  Yep, our grass is very green on our side of the fence. 

But what about the times when our side of the fence has brown and dried out grass and the neighbors looks green and lush?  Times when illness or job loss or any number of of things hit us?  This is when we need to know that Jesus is the one that brings us that contentment.  Even as I am typing this, I am thinking of that verse "when I am weak, he is strong".  And in these times of our weakness, that he, Jesus, proves himself to be our strength.  And our contentment.   In some ways, I think it is harder to be content when things are going well.  It is so easy to forget how much we need Jesus and His contentment. 

Jesus, thank you for meeting us exactly where we are.  Holy Spirit, fill my heart with the contentment of Jesus so that I can truly be content in my present circumstances.  Even though things are going well for me now, Jesus, help me to remember that I need you to be strong for me.  And Jesus, please give me a good nights sleep tonight so that I do not need a nap tomorrow!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment