Thursday, October 10, 2013

In celebration of women's groups........

I think I am still sort of in that "funk" I talked about yesterday.  Today I have been remembering a very special women's group that I was a part of for about 5 years.  I am so missing this group right now!  It was so sad when this group ended about 5 years ago.  This small group was usually about 8 women, and over the years, we lost a couple and gained a couple.  So I would say that there were most likely about 12 or 13 different women who at some point, were in this close fellowship.  We met to pray, support and listen to each other.  Once a year we would have a retreat - a time of closer and deeper prayer, fellowship and learning.  I learned so many things from this wonderful collection of women............things that continue to speak to me - years away from this group. 
*I learned to be totally honest and open.  And in that, I found acceptance and love.  What a gift.

*I learned that prayer really works!  We had these blue sheets of paper with our names listed and each week, we would take a new paper and write the prayer concerns of each person under their name.  And over the years, so many of these concerns where taken care of.  And these were heavy, important things.  I knew that this group of women took these prayer concerns seriously.

*I learned who I could trust and depend on. These gals were always there for me (and in fact, some of them are STILL there for me!)

*I learned to not take myself so seriously.  These women helped me to laugh at myself and also to understand more clearly, parts of my inner self - my personality. 

*I learned to see myself as Jesus sees me.  And to know more clearly, the plan and destiny that the Father has for me. 

*I learned that sometimes each person has a part of the message that you need to hear.  You need to be in the group to hear the entire message.

Yes, this helps me see why I miss this group so much!  We had such a good time together.  Our retreats include some memorable moments of their own.  Let's see -  The hotel where we had 3 fire alarms! (After the first 2 we didn't even leave our rooms for #3).  Then the next year we were at a different hotel and once again, there was a fire alarm.  Another gal and I figured we didn't need to leave the building - we were in the swimming pool!  We had incredible worship, even though we used CD's and some of the most intense prayer and ministry time that I have ever been a part of. 
There was also the time that I almost had the entire group of women ready to kill me because I purposely "destroyed" an art project they had worked on for several hours. These are precious memories to me.

My encouragement to all reading this (and to myself) is to find yourself a small group - NOW!  There is a reason that Jesus had his "inner circle" of disciples.  This was his small group.  And today I am seeing the void that is in my own life because I do not have this right now.  So finding (or creating) a women's group has moved to the top of my "to do" list!

Jesus, thank you for surrounding me with women when I most needed them.  Holy Spirit, you know exactly what I need right now and you know those women who need this kind of a group.  Jesus, would you bring these kind of small groups together - not only for me - but for the many others who are feeling alone right now.  Thank you that you are in the business of relationships.   And Jesus will you bless Pam, Diane, Jane, Kathy, Lynn, Becky, and Kay, and remind them of our wonderful little group.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment