Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Peace that passes understanding

Isn't it always this way?   My last blog post was about needing a nap.   Although I was really tired last night, I had a hard time sleeping.  I fell asleep, but couldn't stay asleep.  So, as you might expect, I needed a nap today also! Since I am in the truth telling mode on this blog, it's been a rough couple of days.  But the really odd thing is that there is nothing really "BIG" that caused this, let's just say, a whole pile of little things becomes something very BIG. 


Isn't it awful when you can't quite figure out what is underneath all of that "stuff"? What is it that is really at the heart of the big pile of trash?  And more importantly, why am I feeling so out of sorts since there is really nothing "BIG" going on. I think that some people would just say that I have been in a "funk".  And that about describes it.  Today on the way to work (at 5:50am) I was thinking how much I feel like I need a vacation.  I know!  I read my last post about being content and this doesn't sound very content does it? 
 
Today during nap time, I was laying on the couch and trying to relax.   Suddenly, I was just filled with an amazing rush of peace.  It was warm and comforting and seemed to just flow over me.  I hadn't really been praying and/or asking for peace.  But there it was.  That wonderful, unbelievable "peace that passes understanding"!  As I just took some deep breathes and settled back, I realized that this was an answer to prayer - someone else's prayer!  I have so many great friends and family that I know are praying for me.  And today was just a confirmation of the power of someone else's prayer.  After a great 30 minutes just basking in the peace, the rest of my day was much better. 
 
So tonight my encouragement to you is to take those prayer requests seriously!  When someone asks you to pray, or you tell someone that you will be praying for them......... do it!  The thing is, you may not ever know how powerful that prayer is, that is until YOU are the one who is benefiting from someone else's prayer.  Prayer is such a foundation of the Christian life -  it is a two way communication between you and Jesus.  And when you are standing with someone else, and bringing them to Jesus, you are moving into another level of prayer.  I have worked with children for basically the last 40 years.  And I can tell you that children pray some of the best prayers.  They go straight to the point.  They understand exactly who they are talking to.  And they expect that their prayers will be answered.  I love having children pray for me.  If you have a chance, open your mind and your heart and spirit and ask a child to pray for you.  I am sure that you will be blessed.  Today, I know the source of the prayer that brought me out of that "funk".   And I am so thankful for "texting"!  Because I received a text this morning from a dear friend telling me that she was praying peace for me. 
 
Jesus, thank you so much for understanding and knowing how easy it is for us to fall into a funk.  And Jesus, thank you so much for good friends that are standing by, ready to pray for us when we are unable to pray ourselves.  Holy Spirit, thank you for bringing that peace that passes understanding.  Jesus, thank you for your covenant promises to us.  You are the King of King and Lord of Lords!  Holy Spirit, remind us all to pray when we need to be praying!   Amen
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment