Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Night of interesting dreams.....after my last post!

I didn't really expect to have a night filled with amazing and interesting dreams, but that sure was the case last night!  I posted a picture of a church from Aberdeen, South Dakota.  Well, in addition to being the first church where I attended Sunday school, it was also the church at which my sister Karen and brother-in-law Roy, were married!  My family's time in Aberdeen was actually very short - only about 2 1/2 years.  I started Kindergarten there.  And my mom also always talked about her "most crazy busy time ever".  This was the last 4 months we lived in Aberdeen.  In those 4 months my sister Julie got confirmed, my brother Jerry graduated from High School, and my sister Karen got married.  PLUS we were preparing to move and our house was for sale! So we had a constant parade of visitors for the various, aforementioned activities, including many aunts and uncles.  Since I was just 5 years old, I don't remember a lot of this time, but apparently there were some buried memories from that time.....

So last night I had a dream that started in the narthex of that church.  I was standing there just looking into the sanctuary.  Suddenly, it was filled with light and there was a dramatic hush that filled the building.  As I looked up, the ceiling was filled with angels and there was singing - beautiful singing in every corner.  At some point in this "dream" I realized that this had actually happened!  When I woke from this dream, I was remembering the very day this happened.  My mom was a leader for my brother Greg's boy scout troop. There was a "blue and gold" banquet that was being held in the church basement.  We were at the church before the event so that my mom could set up.  I had wandered upstairs and was standing looking into the sanctuary.  And that is when I saw and experienced this.......   Now here is the funny thing about this.  At my sister's wedding, I was the flower girl.  I had a really great dress that had a "hoop" in the skirt so that it stood out.  I loved that dress.  But when it came time for me to walk down the aisle during the rehearsal, I froze and refused to walk down.  I had always just assumed that I just got scared (I was only 5) but actually, I was remembering seeing those angels. 

Yes, there was something so special about that church.  After I heard the story of Easter for the first time at Sunday School in that church, at 4 years old, I had an amazing dream.  I was walking with Jesus in a beautiful garden.  There was a winding path that we were walking on, and there were flowers all around.   Jesus held my hand and told me that the story of Easter was true.  Every part of the story.  That he was alive and he was real.  If I close my eyes, I can still feel him holding my hand.  That dream influenced the rest of my life.  And now, I remember this amazing time of hearing and seeing the angels.   I am so thankful for that church and these memories. 

Jesus, thank you for speaking to us in dreams and visions.  I love that you speak to children and open their spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear things that adults may miss.  Holy Spirit, give us all increased and clearer vision and better hearing so that we don't miss this kind of amazing moments.  Jesus, thank you for reminding me of that amazing time. Holy Spirit, remind everyone of those special moments of seeing and hearing they may have experienced.   Continue to bless that church and all who worship there.  Amen

Added another of my favorite Christmas ornaments.  I made these angels as part of my Children's Ministry program in 1994.  My mom helped assemble them.  Special angel memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment