Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The best "last minute", wasn't on the list, Christmas Present....

I am assuming that I am not the only person out there that struggles with trying to "top" that "best ever" Christmas present from years past.  Well, today I was thinking about the year I bought these crazy strap on skis for the kids.  I remember  being at the Stride Rite shoe store in the mall picking up some new shoes for Doug.  Then I spotted these plastic skis on a rack near the cashier.  They were ridiculously cheap - about $5 a pair.  So I just couldn't resist them.  Ken told me that they were junk and would never work.  There were plastic straps that Velcro closed over the kids boots.  I sort of thought that they might just be a novelty that got a few spins around the house.  The picture above doesn't do justice to the hours and hours of fun that Gwen and Doug had with these ski's.  They were actually really great.  They lasted through 2 winters and so many runs up and down the hill in the park behind the house.  And I think every parent in our neighborhood asked me where I got those skis.  Yes, it was the best "last minute", not on the list, Christmas present that I ever bought. 

I've done really good this year sticking to my list.  And, as I just blogged about this week, I've even made a few of my gifts.  I don't have much time to wander the stores so I am not apt to see that "special" item, either.  While I was doing my Bible reading today (yes, I am still managing to sneak in a few precious moments of quiet time each day, in spite of my new schedule), I was reading in Luke and there was the familiar Christmas story.  Oh, how I just love that scripture.  Today, I was taking it very slowly, and really looking at every verse.  There is so much in that chapter.   During my drive to work today I had the memory of those skis along with Chapter 2 from Luke running through my head.  Both of these had an "unexpected" quality about them.  Now I am not, in any way, saying that any Christmas present can compare to Jesus coming as a baby.  But, for all of us, this unexpected baby is the best present we could ever receive.  And I will continue to celebrate all of those times when we delight someone else with a great unexpected present or when we are surprised by someone else giving us a great gift!  And part of my thought process today was that having a list may not be the best thing at all!  I have been wondering how many amazing "best, last minute, not on the list" items I might have missed because I was so focused on my list! 

All of this is just another reminder that we need to be EXPECTING the UNEXPECTED!  I think that will be my new motto in the months ahead.   And it is a good one. I want to keep an expectant heart for all that Jesus might have in store for me.  I think that this thought might be the best, not on my list, thing that I can both give and receive! 

Thank you Jesus for prompting me to buy those skis for that long-ago Christmas.  And Holy Spirit, thank you for showing me that I need to EXPECT the UNEXPECTED in every way and in all of the days ahead.  Please slow us down and remind us to see what you did for us in the birth of Jesus.  Thank you for the Christmas season and the lights and the joy and the music.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment