Saturday, December 7, 2013

Today I am thinking once again about my mom.......

I guess it is kind of strange that I always remember December 7, 1941 - Pearl Harbor Day - since I wasn't born until 1954!  But the reason I remember this day is because I listened to my mom talk about the impact this day had on her life.  The photo above is the picture that my dad had with him during the war.  My mom always said that she wasn't very fond of that shot, but my dad liked it.  Well, here is the story she told about December 7, 1941......

It was a bitter cold day in Watertown, South Dakota.  My mom and dad had some good friends over for Sunday dinner.  After dinner, while mom and her friend were cleaning up the dishes, the men decided to take a ride and get a beer.  When they were gone for a very long time, the women became very worried.   My mom talked about the decision they made for one of them to go out and look for those "darn men"!  (My sister Karen was needing to go to bed so my mom stayed at home while her friend got her coat on to start the search.)  When she got outside, there were the men sitting in the car at the curb.  They had never left the house.  As soon as they got in the car and turned on the radio they heard the first reports on the bombing.  So the rest of the night was spent glued to the radio, listening to the news reports.  Mom always said that she never imagined the effect that day would have on her life.  Another interesting point.. my mom said that she really didn't know anything about Hawaii other than that it was a pacific island.  She said that although they had very good world history, she had never really learned about it. 

For my mom it was one of those "life altering" days, when you seem to remember everything about the date.  I don't know why I was so impressed by these stories that my mom told me.  But I know that I was one of the few kids in my middle school history class who knew what happened on December 7, 1941.  

As I looked in the local paper today, I saw in an article that in the entire Chicago area there are 3 survivors of the Pearl Harbor attacks still alive.  They had a ceremony to honor them.  They are all in their 90's.  It is important that we keep on telling these stories so that we don't forgot the impact of the events of that day.  So, I am telling my mom's story from that day.   I want to honor these survivors as well as all those who died that day and those who survived the attack but are now dead. 

Thank you Jesus for your divine protection on that day that saved so many men.  Thank you for newspapers and history books that help us to understand and remember the events that have shaped our country and the world.  Holy Spirit, bring to our minds the testimonies and recountings that will bless future generations.  Help us to remember YOUR story.  Your Kingdom is increasing and your Glory will fill all the earth!  Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment