Monday, December 16, 2013

Where did the time go???


This evening I was finishing up wrapping Christmas presents and I don't know why, but I was suddenly hit with the passage of time.  I was sitting on the floor in the room that actually was both Gwen and Doug's at one time or another.  My scrapbooking room was the nursery - and also was both Gwen and Doug's room.  I looked around the room and flashed to what the room looked like at various points through out the years.  I was remembering when we moved Gwen into that room as a young toddler - about 2 1/2 years old - when Doug was expected.  I could see the little wooden kitchen that sat in the corner, as well as the kids picnic table.  Then I was flashing to the later years when Gwen had the walls covered with photos.  And then the last years when Doug had a full drum set and a futon as well as other various musical instruments.  I guess it was one of those "mom" moments when I got a little teary thinking about the kids. 

The Christmas Ornaments above are some of my very favorite.  Gwen's has a picture from her Baptism in October of 1979.  Doug's has his 7 month picture from November of 1982  I am glad that I have these ornaments on my tree.  I get to look at their sweet faces every Christmas.  I am very thankful that I get to be with my children and grandchildren on Christmas.  But, still, where did the time go??

There are times when it feels like just yesterday that Ken and I moved into this house...but gee it was 36 years ago.  And is it possible that Lia is 7 years old?  I have heard it said that the passage of time seems to accelerates as you age. And I guess I am suffering with that adage today.  Time flies when you are having fun.  Yep, I guess my life has been lots of fun since the time has been flying! 

Remember my post of a couple of days ago?  Expect the unexpected!  Yes!  So I am going to look ahead to what is in store in the next years.  Yes, it is good to celebrate and remember and reflect on the past, but it is important to keep on looking forward.  And not only looking forward, but walking forward.  This has been an unusual season in my life.  Things are changing and shifting in many areas.   But tonight I am feeling excited and expectant for the new and different and amazing things that are in store for me. In the 15 days left in 2013, I will be taking a deep breath (or two or three) and just being expectant!  I encourage you to join me in taking a breather in the next couple of weeks.  And during that breather, look ahead and expect the unexpected with me!

Jesus, tonight I celebrate that you are the God of yesterday, today and tomorrow!  Thank you for all of the amazing ways you have blessed me and my family.  Holy Spirit, speak clearly to me in these next weeks and quiet my spirit so that I can grab hold of the new things you are showing me. Bless all of those who join me in this breather time and give them wisdom and discernment for their own lives.  Jesus, thank you for your plans for me and my family.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment