Thursday, December 26, 2013

Some things never change...... and some do!

Today I was thinking about our Christmas and the different years when our own kids were little and then I saw this picture of Ken from the early 1950's.  There he is, in front of the tree with all of his trucks.  And I was remembering  Zeke with this year's special toy from Uncle Doug and Aunt Susie.  It was a battery operated Backhoe that shook and moved and lights flashed.  Yes, it was a hit with Zeke.  There is something about boys and their trucks.
Sadly I didn't get a picture of Zeke with that truck. Or the cars and the ramps that he also received.  What I did get a picture of was this sweet shot of Zeke with the doll and blankets and bed that we gave him.  You know, Zeke is going to be a big brother and with a new baby coming soon, he needed his own "baby".  I love the look on Zeke's face.  He was really happy with this little doll.  I was thinking about how grateful I  am that some things DO change.  When Ken was little in the 1950's, no little boy would have been given a doll.  I am so thankful that in 2013 it is totally okay to let boys learn how to nurture and care for babies.  Actually, Doug had a Cabbage Patch doll in 1985.  I guess when you have older sisters, you expect to be able to have your OWN doll to play with. 

After looking at these pictures I was thinking about how much things have changed in the last years.  I am very different than I was a few years ago.  How I view the world and my life has taken a very different direction than I would have thought.  And I know that it is because of Jesus in my life that my perspective has shifted.  I know that even 10 years ago I would never have imagined I would be working in a daycare center.  As a matter of fact, this would have been the LAST place I would have imagined working.  Yet, I know that in this season, it is exactly the right place for me to be.  I am so thankful for the children and the people that I work with.  The days go quickly and I am grateful for the paycheck.  I know that there are many things that Jesus is teaching me in this season, and things that I am to be doing.  As the year winds down and you begin to think about what the new year holds, it is good to remember that things DO change!   So over the next week I will be thinking about the things that I would want to change and the things that I hope will not change in the new year.  I really think that this is a very different process than making "new years resolutions". Or even setting goals for the new year.  Its all about perspective! The most important step I will be taking is to be listening for the direction of the Holy Spirit as I make that list.  I know that is the only way that I will see the true path for the year ahead.   So right now, I am celebrating that some things don't change and little boys still love their cars and trucks (and so do BIG boys!).  But I am also celebrating that some things DO change when I see that sweet expression on the face of my grandson with his baby.  

Jesus, thank you for reminding me that I need to evaluate the new year from your perspective.  Holy Spirit, thank you for once again, using photos to trigger the thought process that leads me to the subject that you are speaking to me right now.  Jesus, thank you that you want to open our eyes, and ears and our spirits to your direction. Help me to continue to look, listen and be aware of all that you are speaking to me in the days ahead.   Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment