Monday, December 2, 2013

Where my memories took me today.......

I love Christmas music!  I mean I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christmas music.  I've been listening to an old CD that has a mish/mash of music (everything from the Messiah to Alvin and the Chipmunks) and then I heard a version of Oh Little Town of Bethlehem and I was suddenly back in this church pictured above.  This is the first church that I remember and I went to my first Sunday School class in this church.  Needless to say, the building wasn't this big at that time.  It was also a bit crowded and my class was held on the stairs!  And we learned Oh Little Town of Bethlehem for the Sunday School Christmas program.  I was 4 years old.  I don't remember the program, but I do remember learning this song. It is still a favorite of mine today. 

While I have always been convinced of the importance of teaching children, I am now beginning to understand in a much bigger way, just how important it is.  Each of these memories and thoughts that I have been sharing in this blog have been triggered by the Holy Spirit. Today I started to put two and two together and got four.  Part of the reason that I have been sharing all of these memories is to remind me that the things I learned as a child, have influenced and directed my life.  That might sound sort of simplistic, but think about this!  Doesn't it change how you might view the importance of the Sunday School program in your church - no matter what age you are? And how about all of those children in your extended family?  Doesn't it make you want to make sure that you share your stories and testimony with them so that they can be blessed by them? 

I've been thinking about the people in my past who gave of their time to be my teachers, leaders, adult guides.  I am so thankful.  I am thankful for my church that knows the value of Sunday School for children.  I am so thankful for my family roots and the heritage of church attendance that made this memory possible for me. 

If you have a child in your life - a grandchild, a neighbor child, a friends child or grandchild, a child in your church, a niece or nephew, a cousins child, I encourage you today to invest in that child.  Sing a Christmas song with them.  Teach it to them.  Give them a CD of Christmas music.  Talk to them about your own favorite songs.  Make a memory with them.  And make a memory for yourself.

Jesus, thank you for music.  Holy Spirit, thank you for today's reminder. Continue to stir up our memories as we hear the music of the Christmas season.  Thank you so much for the people who spend time with the children today. Bless the teachers, the leaders, the parents, the grandparents, the friends, who are investing in this generation. Give us all the joy and wonder of children this Christmas season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment