Friday, December 13, 2013

The blessing of great pretzels..............

Tonight as Ken and I were sitting at dinner at our local Chili's restaurant, I realized that today was Friday the 13th.  I happened to see something on my phone about facts on Friday the 13th.  And I was thinking about various superstitions that hold so many people hostage.  Friday the 13th is certainly on that list.   Since I don't believe in "luck" either good or bad, this seems very silly to me.  I know that nothing happens by chance and that our destiny is part of God's plan for us.  So it really doesn't matter to me WHAT the date is, since everyday Jesus is in charge of my life.  The interesting thing that happened was that after dinner, the waitress accidentally dropped a plate holding several small dishes of various sauces.  They smashed to the floor and splattered EVERYWHERE including up and down the side of my leg and on my shoes.  Since I was going to be going straight home and really didn't care about my clothes, this was not a big deal.  When I heard the waitress say "It figures, it's Friday the 13th!"   I kind of chuckled!   When we found out that the manager had taken our appetizer off of our bill (By the way....wonderful, warm, fluffy, tasty pretzels - that make going to Chili's worthwhile) I realized what a blessing this little accident was for Ken and I.  Free Appetizers!  It's all about perspective.  From the perspective of that waitress, it was a "bad luck" occurrence because of Friday the 13th.  From my perspective, this was just an accident that ended with a blessing for us. 

So, these pretzels were a wonderful "unexpected" surprise.  And yes, I am still "Expecting the Unexpected".   I had another "unexpected" surprise at work today.  I got to spend my entire day in my favorite classroom, with my favorite kids and my favorite co-worker.  And today I got to paint a bunch of kid's hands with brown finger paint (making cute reindeer out of these), helping assemble a really cute owl (for "O" week), helped create a sign up sheet for next weeks Holiday Party (this included coloring and cutting out pictures of reindeer - in the dark- when the kids were asleep), read a really cute book to the kids that was an age appropriate book based on "Christmas Carol" and finished up the day watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas".  Really, could there have been a better day? 
 
Yes, all in all, this was a really good day.  And now, I am going to bed because after re-reading this blog, I understand why I am tired!  Good night!
 
Jesus, thank you for surprises and blessings.  Thank you for work, for children, for friends, for family and for food - especially pretzels!  Bless that waitress and help her to know that accidents happen and that you are in charge Jesus!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment