Sunday, September 28, 2014

A different kind of footprint today!

Today was a celebration day for our family.  We had a big party to celebrate Doug and Susie's soon to be born baby!  Who doesn't just love a baby shower?  There is no happier occasion.  The party was held at a beautiful location.  The room was lovely and the views were breathtaking.  From the outdoor deck there were views of lovely lakes, a waterwheel, trees and nature.  It was so calming and peaceful. We had a "woodland animal" theme (very much Doug and Susie) and there were little paw print decorations.

And of course we are all anxious for those sweet little baby footprints!   I am so excited for this baby to come!  This will be our fifth grandchild and each one is so special.  This is the first time that the sex of the baby is going to be a surprise and I am more than anxious to know whether it is a boy or girl! Alas, we have a few more weeks to wait.

I love this verse from Proverbs 17:6............

Children's children are a crown for the aged, and parents are the pride of their children. 

I love this idea of grandchildren being a crown!  Let me tell you I have had my share of tiaras and crowns on my head with Lia and Ellie.  But the thought of the message behind this verse is so much more.  I love being able to see the destiny of my grandchildren.  To watch them grow in their walk with Jesus and their love for Him.  There is nothing better than knowing that there is an eternal plan and destiny that is being worked out through our family.  I remember my mom telling me that she had always thought that grandchildren were the very best...UNTIL she had great grandchildren!  She said that it was such a blessing to add one more layer of crowns on your head.  Having children was just great - like a tasty piece of cake.  Having grandchildren was wonderful - like smooth creamy frosting on that cake. But those great grandchildren are like the sprinkles and the cherry on top!  My mom had 22 great grandchildren when she died.  Anna would be 23 and this coming baby would be 24.  So she had lots and lots of sprinkles and cherries!  She embraced and loved on all of them.

Yes, today was a day of feeling very blessed.  When I look at my all grown up adult children, I get a bit teary.  Seeing Doug today, I had moments when I flashed back to a time when I wasn't sure I would ever see him as an adult.  And here he is, a husband and father.  And seeing Gwen with her family just makes my heart happy.  I am so, so blessed.

Yes, these were new footprints today that I walked in....coming footprints of a sweet new grand baby.  We all just need to look around us to see and celebrate the blessings that are right in front of us.  Take a moment and see the blessing that you are to your parents and your grand parents - yes even your great grand parents.  Each of us need to see and understand this and celebrate it. Today we need to see the place that we hold in our own family.  And enter into the celebration that our life brings.

Jesus, thank you so much for new life and celebration.  Thank you for joy and understanding that comes from knowing our own place in our families.  Holy Spirit, help us all to see and celebrate who we are and the family that Jesus planned for us.  Thank you for Doug and Susie and this wonderful new life!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment