Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hitting another milestone....and my gratitude journal

Well, Anna is hitting another milestone - she is sitting on her own.  It is really interesting to see how very different each of my grandchildren are.  Anna is very mobile at a much younger age than her siblings were.  She can get all over the room by scooting (sometimes backwards) but she moves!  What a joy it is to watch her grow and change.

And that brings me to my own milestone.....my birthday.  This week I turn 60.  I can't really believe that.  I don't feel 60.  It just doesn't seem possible.  I know that I am not alone in these feelings.  But still.....60?  How did this happen?  It's funny how a number can have such a big impact.  I am taking lots of deep breathes and reminding myself that it IS just a number.  And of course Ken reminded me that I have actually been living in my 60th year since LAST year, so now I am really entering my 61st year.  Sigh.

All of these special "anniversaries" that we celebrate are really important.  Those birthday and wedding and whatever anniversaries give us a reason to remember, recall and reflect on the important times in our life.  It is good to stay grounded in the passage of time and the provisions that God has given to us.  Yes, it is a time to get together with those we love and tell stories.  It is a time to share a part of our "oral tradition".  It is a time to share the little things.  And doesn't everyone love cake and ice cream?  I sure do! (Angle food cake and strawberries are my favorites).

I have been doing a "gratitude journal" for a few weeks.  I just take a few minutes each night and jot down a few things that I am especially grateful for on that day.  I have not set a certain number, but I am trying to see new and different things each day.  It is really a wonderful tool to help keep your eyes on Jesus and all that we have through His provision.  Here is my list for today.

1.  I am thankful for sunshine peeking through clouds.  Love, LOVE this!
2.  I am so grateful for old friends that just get me.
3.  Thankful for my microwave.  Cooked my entire dinner in the microwave tonight!

I have seen people being challenged on Facebook to share for 3 days 3 things that they are grateful for.  I have decided to make September my month of gratitude. And I challenge all of you reading this, to try this out.  It will be a real boost to look back on every little thing, that together becomes a whole lot of thankfulness.

Jesus, thank you for showing me my own need to BE grateful and thankful.  Thank you for celebrations that help us embrace those milestones of change.   Holy Spirit, thank you for your gentle reminders and whispers that remind us all of what is really important.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment