Thursday, September 4, 2014

When you shouldn't be surprised!

I don't know why I am always so surprised when I get these flashes of Gwen when I am playing with Anna.  Really, it is not a big deal for a daughter to look like their mother.  But sometimes, it is just CRAZY how much Anna reminds me of Gwen!  The first picture is Gwen's first Christmas - she was 7 months old.  And the bottom picture is Anna, this week, at 7 months.  This morning Chandler (Gwen and Tim's beagle) was sniffing around me as I sat on the floor with Anna and I immediately thought of this picture of Gwen.  And, when Anna giggles.... it sounds just like Gwen. Gwen tells me that most people don't see that Anna looks like her.  As a matter of fact, the overwhelming majority of people think that she looks just like Zeke (who looks just like Tim).  Maybe it's just in my mind, but its really something to feel like I'm looking at Gwen when Anna smiles at me.  

On another note.... I saw a post on Facebook this morning, that basically said that "we shouldn't be surprised by the current, endless bad news".  This really got me thinking.  Jesus basically told us to expect trouble in the world.  We are given examples all over scripture of the natural disasters (earthquakes, famines, etc) and also man made disasters (wars, rumors of wars, etc) that would fill the world.  Recently a friend asked me what I thought about the current horrible news about persecution of Christians around the world.  Do I think that this is a call for us to pray? Yes!  But do I have this always on my mind? No!  I want to keep my focus......

"Finally, brothers and sister, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."  Phillipians 4:8

I want to keep my focus on who Jesus is and what he has done for the world.  I am so thankful for the peace that fills me as I declare to myself, the character of Jesus.  It is amazing to feel that love just swell up inside of you as you stop and remember what we have when we have Jesus.

Let's face it.  We can not in our own strength, change anything that is happening in the world.  We can't even change much about our own immediate problems.  But JESUS can!  So I am going to respond to the news and the facebook posts and videos by declaring life and love and hope and Jesus!

What a blessing it is to be able to speak your name and have the assurance that you hear, Jesus.  Holy Spirit, thank you for reminders and encouragement to keep our eyes focused on Jesus.  Thank you for helping us see and appreciate all of the blessings in our life!  Amen

PS my gratitude list for today   1.  Thankful for a car to protect us from the rain at the bus stop.
2.  Grateful for food in the freezer.  3.  Thankful for baby giggles

No comments:

Post a Comment