Sunday, September 14, 2014

Processing some sad news........ and looking ahead

I just love this picture. This is Ken and a few of our high school friends at one of our recent "reunion" picnics.  Some of these guys were Ken's friends in high school and some were my friends.  And we have just reconnected with these great people in the last 5 years. We so look forward to seeing these friends each summer. Today we learned that one of these old friends lost their wife this morning.  She had been diagnosed with cancer several years ago, but this was still a shock to us.  We did not get to see Steve and Cheryl this year at our annual picnic because they had a family event to attend in Michigan.  It is really something to feel this loss, yet we were not that close to this couple.

I thing like this really does make you stop and look at your life and consider.  I am so thankful that Cheryl knew Jesus and today she is celebrating in heaven.  And I am grateful for the comfort that this gives to Steve also.  It also gives me a push to be more open with everyone that I meet and talk with, to make sure that they have had a chance to know Jesus.  It does make you stop and think.

Ken and I have been doing a bit of talking about retirement lately.  Okay, lots of couples in their early 60's are taking more concrete steps to plan ahead.  I guess all of these things, PLUS turning 60 have made today a bit more difficult for me.

But then, I just flash to last Sunday night.  Every day this week, I have felt the excitement build in my spirit.  It has been a long time since I have had this sense of anticipation and feeling that there is so much more to come!  And I have so much yet to accomplish.  I love these times when you can see that Jesus has given you "advance preparation" for a situation that you will be facing.  It is just one more way that we can see the constant presence and care that Jesus gives to us.  On Saturday I got to visit with a very dear friend who recently moved.  Being with her is so filling for my soul.  We have been friends for a very long time, suffered the trials of teenage children together, seen so many changes in our lives, and now are loving our role as Grandmas!  It is so good to have these joyful reminders today that bring me the assurance that Jesus is truly in control..
Diane and I talked a great deal about the future.  What it might look like for each of us.  How grateful we are for time to really connect with our grandchildren.  What Jesus might have in store for us.  Honestly, I am so thankful for good friends!

Yes, this post tonight is all about friends.  The friends we have who knew us "way back when".  The friends that have grown and changed with us.  The friends who are growing old with us.  I love the passage above.  Yes, friends are a fragrant incense that remind us of God's presence with us, even in the worst of times.

Jesus, you are in charge of the length of our days.  Please comfort Steve and his entire family today as they mourn the loss of his dear wife Cheryl.  Thank you for renewed friendships and new friendships and long time friendships.  Holy Spirit, give all of us "over 55's" the assurance that you have much more in store.  Thank you for reminding us that you have a plan and destiny for each one of us.  Thank you for restoring my anticipation for all that is ahead.  Amen

PS  My thankful journal for today is old friends, renewed friends and longtime friends and new friends!  Yep, thankful for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment