Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 18 - Thankful for Goodwill!

Goodwill Industries International, Inc.
Today I am thankful for Goodwill!  We have a pretty small house and several years ago we realized that it was much more comfortable when it didn't have so much junk in it!  Over the last years we have been making trips to Goodwill about 4 times a year.  We have made it our practice to get rid of something whenever we bring something new into the house.  This has helped to keep our closets more clear and our house less cramped. 

So since we need to use our spare room over Thanksgiving, I decided today was the day to clean it out.  That room tends to be the dumping ground for anything that will eventually be taken to Goodwill.  So I gathered everything and made another search around the house before driving to our local Goodwill.  Since our Goodwill is in a rather upscale area, it is always crowded.  It doesn't seem to matter when you go, there is usually a line to drop off items.  And the parking lot is usually full for the store.  Today was no exception.  So after waiting my turn, a nice young man came to my car and emptied my trunk.  With a big smile and a pleasant "have a nice day!", he then said "God bless you for your support of Goodwill!"

I was stunned! This was so unexpected!  I should have been thanking him for taking all of my junk!  But, he was so gracious - and he spoke a blessing over me.  It was one of those times when I knew that he really was sincere.  So I gladly accepted that blessing and returned one with "God bless you, also!"  No question, today I was very thankful for Goodwill. 

I love these unexpected "Jesus" moments.  I went through the rest of my day with a smile on my face.  What a great reminder to just share a simple "God bless you" with people that we meet on the street, at work, in the grocery store, or in our neighborhood.  I was reminded today that these small words can change your day and put a smile on your face.   Yep, I am going to be speaking these words much more often.

Jesus, thank you for that special worker at Goodwill today.  Please pour out your blessings on him and his family.  Holy Spirit, remind me to bless people that I meet each day.  And Jesus, please help us all to remember to be open to share a blessing!  Thank you for the Goodwill organization.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment