Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day three - thankful for the time change

Day three of thankfulness  - Today I am thankful for the time change.  I am one of those people that really enjoys the extra hour of sleep with the fall time change.  But, with truth telling here, I also DREAD the spring time change! (I seem to always have a problem adjusting to the jump ahead)  At any rate, today was one of those really pretty fall days.  The sky was so blue and the air was crisp but not cold.  The sun was shining brightly.  And we had an "extra" hour!  So, in order to be outside and enjoy some of this fleeting nice weather, Ken and I decided to clean up the outside summer things and also prepare for winter.  This included putting lots of stuff up into the attic in the garage.  And, can I share another thankfulness - let's call it 3.5?  I am so thankful that we have storage in our attic.  It is really bittersweet to see those beach chairs and that float go up in the attic. But because of that attic, we have plenty of room to put a car in the garage, and still have room for that snow blower! On one hand I love summer, but on the other hand, I also love the change of seasons.

Which brings me to what is on my heart tonight -  change.  I don't know about you, but I find change very difficult.  No matter what the change is.  Even when you know that after the change, things will be better.  But going through a change is, well just plain uncomfortable.    Over and over I have been hearing that this is a new season of change and that everything we have had, will be different in the future.   Yes, it seems that Jesus is bringing about a change in how things operate.  I don't really know what that means, but I do know that Jesus is in control!  And when he changes things, it will be good!  So, join me in praying that all of us can rest and be at peace even when things around us are changing - the seasons, the time, a job, your family, your church.  A very wise person said "the only thing that you can always count on is that everything will change!" In spite of all the changes, I am secure in the knowledge that Jesus never changes.  There is great comfort in that.

Jesus,  thank you for a wonderful fall day.  You are the source of our peace and joy, even when things around us seem so upsetting and so unfamiliar.   Holy Spirit, bring us all into your rest so that we can not only "get through" these changes, but thrive as we sail on into the new season.   Jesus, thank you for the wonderful, amazing new things that you have for us, just ahead through that open door.  Holy Spirit, thank you for encouraging us to walk boldly out into those changes.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment