Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 28 and 29 - Just plain thankful!

It's been a busy couple of days.   Yesterday was Thanksgiving at our house.  A good time was had by all!  As my status update yesterday said..... Thankful for Family, Food and Fun!. 
With everyone assembled at our house, we didn't really do much.  We watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (actually we watched it twice - it was rebroadcast and the kids wanted to watch again!).  We snacked and looked at all the Black Friday sale ads and made our lists.  And we ate turkey, of course!  We also got to play many, many games of "Thanksgiving Bingo"!  This was a fun and easy version that Gwen found on Pintrest.  It kept all of us busy for many hours.  It took me over 15 games to finally win one, but it was great fun.  By 3:00pm the turkey was eaten, the dishes were done, the lists were assembled.  At 3:30pm, Gwen and I headed out to our first store. 

Now I know that shopping on Thanksgiving day is controversial this year.  But let me just say that Gwen and I anticipate and long for this day for the entire year.  It is one of the best times that we have together.  I am a bit confused about the drama of "working" on this particular day since Policemen, Fireman, Bus Drivers, Pilots, Taxi Drivers, Doctors, Nurses (and many other people) ALWAYS have to work on these days. So, really, whats the big deal? But, on with my story.

This year Gwen and I did three stores (Michaels, Walmart and Target).  We got everything on our lists, never waited outside in a line (it was only 20 so it would have been COLD!), and were home by 8:30pm!  We then were able to be in bed by 10:00. (As a side note, Gwen didn't really get much sleep. With three kids and a dog, plus two adults in one room......well, you get the picture.  Add to that, she is about 30 weeks pregnant).  So, since we were up at 5:30am, we left for part two of our adventure.  We managed to hit two more stores and the outlet mall and were home by 9:45am.  Again, got everything on our lists and never waited in a line in the cold.  Yep, I'd say we have lots to be thankful for!  
Now, for today's thankfulness.........  I am very thankful for Chandler, the dog!  Chandler is Gwen and Tim's dog.  A very sweet beagle that they rescued.  I was in the back yard walking Chandler this afternoon when I happened to notice something laying in the park quite a ways down a hill from our yard.  I walked down, grabbed what turned out to be a  piece of siding and turned around to look up at our house (not a view that we normally have) and was stunned to see a hunk of siding ripped off of the side of our house!  Yep that wind last week must have broken it loose and Wednesday's gusts must have torn it off.  So, right now I am so thankful that Chandler was visiting and that I decided to walk back there with him.  Because of that, I have the piece of siding.  We were able to call some local people and we hope to get this fixed quickly.   I am doubly thankful that I found that piece of siding.  Our house is 36 years old and I know that they would never match this old stuff.  Most likely a re-siding job is also in our future, but for now, greatly thankful!

Yes, a very busy couple of days filled with gratitude at every turn.

Jesus, thank you for the times we have to stop and really notice all of the things that we have to be thankful for.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the prompting to step outside and watch Chandler and enjoy the crisp sunny day AND find the siding.  Jesus you are an amazing provider and I am so grateful for all the different ways that you provided for my family in the last couple of days.  Thank you for all the people who worked on this Thanksgiving.  Pour out your blessings on them and their families as they celebrate Thanksgiving on some other day or time.  What an amazing God you are to help us in every way - big and small.  Thank you Jesus.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment