Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 26 - Thankful for good health - Part 1

As I have been sharing about various Thanksgivings from years past, I decided I had to blog about Thanksgiving 1972.  I was 18 years old and living at home.  Ken and I were already dating and I was a college student at a local community college.  And I was working at Walgreens.  Each of these facts is important in my telling the story of Thanksgiving in 1972. 

Let me set the stage.... I was a new college student (my first semester) and I was working a lot of hours at Walgreens.  They had just started being open until Midnight and I frequently worked 3pm till Midnight.  And I was dating Ken.  Each of these things led to me not getting much sleep and being pretty stressed.  I had been feeling sick most of October and had already completed several rounds of antibiotics and was still under the weather.  I remember well when the doctor said that I needed to have some blood tests because he suspected that there was something else wrong with me.  Now let me say that I had just recently lost a cousin to Leukemia and when the doctor suggested that my symptoms might be that serious..............we were worried.  So when we received that phone call from the doctor telling me that I had Mononucleosis, we were relieved!!!  Although serious, it was not life threatening.  I remember the day of that phone call very well.  I called my boss and told him I didn't know when I would be returning to work and I called my counselor at college and gave them the same line.  The college wasn't very worried.  They assured me that I could catch up on all my work (which did not happen).  But my boss............well my Walgreens story is one for another blog.  He indicated that I might not have a job when I recovered.  I thought this was really unbelievable since he was a Pharmacist and knew about these things! After these calls were made, I gladly climbed into bed and fell asleep.  I don't remember ever feeling THAT tired!  That was on a Thursday, a week before Thanksgiving.  I have been told that I actually got up for Thanksgiving dinner, but I really don't remember it.  The first thing I really remember is on the Sunday after Thanksgiving - the 26th.  I actually stayed awake to watch a Disney special on TV!  And I finally felt like I was going to be okay.  It was truly a thankful thanksgiving for me (and my parents)!

I hadn't thought about this story for a very long time.  Today as I was thinking about it, I had such a feeling of peace and joy.  Even though, as the time, I didn't really think about the fact that Jesus was the healer and the protector for me, NOW I know that he was totally responsible for my restoration.  And I can even see the working of the Holy Spirit in the path that this illness caused me to walk.  By February of the next year, my life had taken a very different direction.  I was no longer in college and I was working a 9-5 full time secretarial job (which I had for the next 5 years). 

Yes, it was an interesting and very thankful Thanksgiving for me. 

Jesus, thank you for reminding me that you were working in my life, even when I wasn't aware of your presence.  Thank you for restoring me to good health and for providing exactly what I needed at that time.  Thank you for my mom and dad, and their provision for me during this illness. Holy Spirit thank you for helping me to walk on the path that brought me into my destiny.  Amen

***Watch for my blog tomorrow for another Thanksgiving story of restoration!*****

(My Walgreens story is really very interesting.  I promise to share that story sometime in the very near future.)

No comments:

Post a Comment