Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day 24 - Thankful for a crazy shopping trip!

I just love how the Holy Spirit will remind you of things, if you just stop and ask!  Last night I had one of those nights where I wasn't sleeping very well and I seemed to go from one dream to another.  At one point I woke up and was remembering a day that was very special to me...... November 23, 1973..... 40 years ago. 

Here's what happened on that day.  My mom, my two sisters (Karen and Julie) and I went shopping for my wedding.  We took all the kids with us... that included Amy, Nancy, Susan, Elise and Chris.  And we went SHOPPING - to Woodfield Mall - on Black Friday - FOR WEDDING STUFF!  Okay, were we totally crazy?????? I think so.  But in spite of the crowds, in spite of having all the kids with us, we found what we needed.  Julie chose the bridesmaid dresses from Penneys. Done.  Then we found my veil. Done. We went into one store and found the flower girl dresses. Done.  My sister Karen's mother-in-law Hazel, was an amazing seamstress and she had volunteered to make dresses for Amy and Nancy.  So, we went into the fabric store and found exactly the fabric that I wanted.  Done.  It was a God-thing for sure.  Looking back, I can't believe that we actually thought this was a good idea.  But Karen and Julie were both visiting from out of town and it seemed like the logical thing to do at the time.  I remember, years later, my mom and I talking about this and sort of shaking our heads at how nuts we were to even attempt something like this on Black Friday at Woodfield Mall.  But it must have been the right thing to do since everything turned out so great. 
I just had to include this photo of my niece Susan and I.  Hazel had enough fabric left to make an adorable little matching dress for Susan.  I was so thrilled when I saw that.
So, 40 years ago we had a wonderful Black Friday shopping experience that had nothing to do with Black Friday.  I am so thankful for my family and all of these memories.  And I am thankful for these pictures that help me remember this shopping day, oh so well!  
 
Jesus, thank you for my family - for my sisters and my nieces.  I am so thankful for all of the times, like this memory, that I have had with them.   Holy Spirit, thank you for reminding me in my dreams about that day 40 years ago. Speak to all of us in our dreams if we are not listening when we are awake!  Jesus, bless Julie, Elise, Chris, Amy, Nancy and Susan. And also my sister-in-law Thoralee!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment