Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 7 - Thankful for Gwen and Doug - and the miracle of life!



So I am sure that part of my thankful post today is working with all the little ones.  Yesterday I even got to feed and diaper a 6 week old!  Really, is there anything better than sitting in a rocking chair, cuddling with a tiny baby that is eagerly eating his bottle?  I don't think so.  So tonight I have pulled up these very early pictures of Gwen and Doug.  Gwen's picture is especially important to me.  Ken took this picture the first time I ever saw Gwen. After an emergency C-section and a long recovery room stay (this was a general anesthesia section - before they were doing spinals), Gwen arrived in my room in a little dress with a bow in her hair.  I have always been sorry that I missed seeing her right after she was born.  I was very glad that Ken had stood outside the operating room door and walked with Gwen to the nursery and watched them clean her up and dress her.  So when Doug was born, I was very grateful for the epidural and being awake to actually see him in the operating room.  It was especially important since he was born at 31 weeks and ended up in the NICU.  The picture above is the first time I actually got to hold him.  He was 3 days old.  You can see that his little hand is bruised from the IV's and his face is marked up from the tape and tubes. 

Yes, today I am very thankful for my children.  Actually, I simply can't imagine my life without them.  It is such a blessing to watch your children change and grow.  I loved them just born, I loved them as young children, even as teenagers and especially now as adults.  It's an amazing thing that God sees fit to loan us these precious little beings and trusts us to raise them up to adulthood.  So many times during the years of child rearing, I remember thinking, "I don't think I can do this!"  But, somehow, I did. As with most things, you tend to forget all the tough things and remember the good. And I think all parents hold on to some of those "just wait till you have children" stories.  But as a word of encouragement to anyone in that "parenting" stage.... you CAN do this and you WILL get through this.  No matter how many bumps in the road, or how many sleepless nights - eventually your task is completed. 

Isn't it an amazing part of Yahweh's great plan, to establish families?  I love that he knew just how difficult it would be, yet so wonderful all at the same time.  And I also am thankful that he knew how much we would treasure our grandchildren, once our children were grown and gone.  I so valued my mother's wisdom when it came to raising my children.  Her calm reassurance and guidance helped me relax and enjoy the ride. And I am hopeful that I can be that voice of reason for my children. 

I love how Jesus loved the little children. How he took them on his lap and blessed them.  I love how he valued the little boy with the loaves and fish.  He really cared about and SAW the little children.  So I know that he loves and cares for all of our children.  And he is helping us all along the way.
Jesus loves me this I know,
for the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but he is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me - the Bible tells me so! 

Jesus, thank you for the gift of my children.  Holy Spirit, comfort and encourage all those reading this blog, who have young children.  Remind them that Jesus loves them and their children and this season will pass.   Thank you for reminding me of this special and amazing part of your plan for my life!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment