Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day 27 - Thankful for good health - part 2

So last night I was thinking of 1972 and tonight I am thinking about 1984.  Doug was just over 2.5 years old.  He had a rather serious urinary surgery in September of that year and the hope was the surgery would fix all of his infection problems.  But, alas, it was not to be.  Doug had an appointment at the "Urology Clinic" at Children's Memorial on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Let me tell you that I was NOT used to driving all over Chicago and prior to this time of Doug's illness I had never driven into Chicago by myself.  But when your kid is sick, you will do whatever it takes.  This was our first visit back to see the Urologist who did the "experimental" surgery on Doug.  He was not a very personable man and rather arrogant.  As a matter of fact, when our insurance refused to cover the cost of the surgery because it was "above reasonable and customary" he told the insurance company that it was HIS procedure and how dare they tell him what it should cost.  Needless to say, we lost that battle and ended up paying for the procedure ourselves.  But I digress........ I took the day off of work to take Doug in because it was clear to us that he was indeed sick again. After driving to the hospital and waiting for 4 hours at the clinic, the doctor told me that it was impossible that he was sick and I should just take him home.  Even though he tested positive for infections.  I was so upset.  So I left Children's Memorial and started home.  Only to discover that the tollway was under construction and it was the busiest day for travel.  And the detour I needed to take was........get this......through O'Hare airport (on the busiest day for travel).  So I spent 4 hours on the lovely tollways around Chicago with a sick, crying child in a car seat.  Somewhere around hour 3, I began to cry.  I was so glad to finally arrive home.  A call to our local doctor (who had the test results) resulted in his urging for us to bring Doug to the local hospital for treatment.  At that point, it was clear Doug and I both just needed to be home (at least long enough to stop crying).  However he had a big heart and told us to stay home in the morning, eat some turkey, and to go to the hospital in the afternoon.  So that's what we did.  I was just so thankful to be close to home.  To be in a hospital that I knew well, and to have a Doctor that seemed to really care about Doug. 
(This picture was actually taken at Christmas of 1984.  Look carefully and you will see the IV dripping into Doug's arm (hanging from our Pole Lamp! We willing gave him cheese puffs because he would sit still for the entire time his medicine was running!)  Doug was in the hospital from Thanksgiving until Christmas.  And that same doctor made a way for us to do an IV at home so Doug could get his medicine and we could be home for Christmas.  This was amazing for 1984 - they just didn't do that.  Jesus provided a way for us)
So, once again today, I am so thankful for Doug's wonderful health now as an adult. Thinking back on these days brings it all back to me and I just feel waves of gratefulness. Most people do not really know all of Doug's health history and only a few have heard this story. For me this was sort of a turning point when I discovered that, as a mom I really knew my child better than any doctor or hospital could. It's that "mother's intuition" that is really the Holy Spirit!

So tonight I am celebrating and thanking Jesus for the miracle of my wonderful all grown up healthy adult son! Yes, we have lots to be thankful for!

Jesus, thank you for your protection and your guidance during those very hard years.  Thank you for the plans and purpose you have for Doug and the destiny that you are working out for him.  Holy Spirit, thank you for hearing my heart's cry for Doug in those years.  Thank you Yahweh our healer for the miracle of health for Doug!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment