Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Day 6 - Thankful for cinnamon rolls!

Okay, confession here!  If I have one major weakness in the food category, it is for cinnamon rolls.  They are my "go to" comfort food.  We almost always have a tube of this heavenly goodness in our refrigerator.  I know, I know.  These are terrible for you.  They are chocked full of fat and calories and preservatives.  So many of you most likely are gasping in horror that we would eat these.  Sorry, I just love them!  And I love how the house smells when they are baking in the oven! 
 
So tonight, after another very long day of work, and after cooking a very well balanced meal (that did include green vegetables) - I just needed some additional comfort.  So I baked up a tube.  And therefore, tonight I am most thankful for the Doughboy.  And these delicious cinnamon rolls. 
 
Its funny how such a small thing can help you feel better.  I am sure that the extra calories are not good, but the lifting of my spirit is very worth it.  I am so thankful that I am aware of these kinds of triggers.  It reminds me to think before I just consume lots and lots of cinnamon rolls.  But also, knowing that something that is really not that bad for me, will make me feel better, is also good! 
 
Now I am also aware that there may be some people who would challenge me on my need for this "comfort" food.  They might say that I should be fully happy with the presence of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in me and not "need" any food to feel better.  I am also very aware of the fact that it is a huge blessing to have access to so many foods, as we do in the United States.  I don't take this lightly!  As a matter of fact, I think that because I do know the extent of the food shortages around the world, I fully appreciate having cinnamon rolls available to me.  
 
This brought to my mind an amazing little visual display that I did with children in an after school program I was running.  The purpose of this exercise was to show the children (and the adults) very clearly what the food distribution around the world really is.  First the children were divided to represent the population around the world. (North America gets 2 kids, South American gets 7 kids,  Europe gets 3, Africa gets 10, Asia gets 20)   Then you pass out the "food".  North America's 2 kids get a large clear bag filled with 150 M & M's.  Europe's 3 kids get 100.  The South American kids get 25,  Africa gets 12  and Asia gets 7.  It doesn't take long for the kids to realize that this is just NOT fair.  The biggest groups of children get the least candy!  I remember the looks on the faces of the adults who were present during this "game".  They couldn't believe that this was true!  Sadly, it does represent the available food in these places.  Then the biggest surprise is when all the M & M's are mixed together and passed out "fairly" all of the 42 kids each get 7 M&M's.  Something to think about. God does have enough food on the earth, it just isn't distributed "fairly"!
 
So tonight, I am thankful for those cinnamon rolls.  But I am also very grateful to live in the United States.  And I understand that with this blessing comes a great responsibility.  I am thankful for the reminder to seek ways to make a difference around the world.  One thing I am certain of - Jesus is in control of this.  He has a plan and purpose and a destiny for the WHOLE world.  And He is also in charge of the food supply.  I believe that this message tonight is to remind us all that we need to be better stewards of all that Jesus has provided for us.  We need to lift up those that live in places without good food sources.  And we need to declare God's plans for the world! I believe that Jesus is gifting creative ideas to people right now that can solve this issue. 
 
Jesus, thank you for the amazing food that is available to us in the United States.  Help us all to be thankful when we walk in the aisles of the supermarket and prepare our family meals.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the reminder of the M&M game.  Please release those new ideas that will bring food where it is most needed.  Jesus, thank you for your great plan for the whole world!  And thank you for my cinnamon rolls. Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment